Chapter 65: The Night a Monster was Born.

Recap:

In the morgue, Elena's body was lying on a stretcher. Stefan was sitting next to her with tears in his eyes. Upstairs, Damon burst into the hospital.

"Where is she?"

Meredith saw him and walked over to him.

"No, Damon, wait."

"Where is she?!" Damon demanded.

Meredith grabbed Damon and stopped him.

"You need to know, when Jeremy brought Elena in here earlier tonight, her injuries were worse than I let on. It wasn't a concussion, it was a cerebral hemorrhage, bleeding of the brain."

"What are you saying?"

"He was so worried, I didn't want to tell him, but I – I helped her. She needed my help."

"You what?" Damon asked.

In the morgue, Elena's body still lay on the stretcher. Suddenly, Elena came back to life, gasping for air.

Chapter 65:

Gilbert Residence

There was a bright white light and the sounds of church bells ringing, with sirens blaring in the distance and yard work going on outside. Suddenly, Elena gasped for air and woke up. It was morning. Stefan was sitting on the end of her bed, watching her. She seemed confused about what was going on around her.

"Stefan?"

"Hey. I'm right here. You've been in and out for hours."

"Wh-what happened?"

"You were in an accident." Stefan murmured quietly.

"Oh, my God. Matt... is he...?"

Damon interrupted; he was sitting on the window seat next to Elena's bed.

"Alive?" Elena and Stefan both looked at him. "Ask Stefan. The hero."

Elena looked back at Stefan.

"He's fine."

Elena sighed, relieved.

"Thank you. I thought that I - how did you...?"

"Save you? He didn't."

Stefan looked solemn.

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew. Meredith Fell made a choice, she used Damon's blood to heal you."

"And when Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Elena."

Elena started to panic.

"Oh, my God. Does - does that mean that I - am I dead?"

Stefan and Damon said nothing.

"No, no, no, no! That wasn't supposed to happen!"

"Maybe it doesn't have to. I talked to Bonnie, she says she's stronger than ever, there might be something that she can do to help you. Or even Talia could help."

"Talia?" Elena asked and her voice cracked.

"She's still out." Damon hung his head low. "And no, the only thing that's going to help is for you to feed and complete the transition."

"We have all day before she has to feed, Damon. That's a day to exhaust every possible way out of this." Stefan said.

"There is no way out of it." Damon snapped. "We all know the drill. You feed or you die. There is no door number three."