Chapter 91: Ho Ho Ho, ya big Hoe.

Recap:

"I love you too," Talia looked up at Klaus, her eyes puffy. She laughed shakily. "Hey, I guess this'll be a Christmas to remember." Talia began to cry again. "My first Christmas away from the Robinsons and I don't even have my family. They all hate me. I wanted this to be a perfect Chrismas, but how could it have been? My Dad is dead. And so is my mum and Jenna." Talia whimpered. "My Nanna and Pappi too. They've all left me. They're gone."

"You've got me." Klaus rested his forehead against Talia's, "I'm still here, princess. You'll always have me. And for what it's worth, I'm glad I have you all to myself."

"You're more than enough, but I need my family too."

"They'll come around," Klaus murmured.

"Promise you'll always stay with me?" Talia asked softly.

"Always,"

Chapter 91:

"Sitting there all sad and depressed won't help."

"Won't it?"

"Nope. Now please peel the potatoes I asked you to peel 20 minutes ago. We're seriously behind schedule and just in case you haven't noticed, I'm starting to panic."

"Can't believe I'm lumbered with this,"

"Not my fault, Elena! Anyway, I thought Damon compelled help for Christmas like he always does...?"

"He's not in the mood for it," Elena murmured as she picked up a large potato. "I'm not either, to be honest,"

"But it's Christmas! A time to have fun, eat lots of delicious food and be merry!"

"Is it?" Elena asked sarcastically. "God, Care, you sound like a dumb kid."

"Okay," Caroline's eyebrows were raised at her friend's tone. "Wow, okay, Elena, thanks for that."

"Sorry, I shouldn't be taking it out on you, you're only trying to help," Elena reached over and squeezed Caroline's hand. "Sorry." After she looked around the kitchen, Elena chuckled lightly. "Wow, we have lots to do. And all on Christmas Day. You know, the only person who'd leave it all on Christmas Day is... was Jenna. Anyway, where's that list Bonnie made? There must be some things we can tick off already. Jer is holed up in his room. Typical. Matt's... where is Matt? Oh, at work. Hm. Okay, Care, you carry on with the turkey. No, your mom's making that. I'll carry on with the veg, you grab the gifts and put them under the tree. No. Crap. We don't have a tree. Can't believe we do not have a Christmas tree. Okay, no tree, not the end of the world. Drinks. Matt can get the drinks after work. Stefan, I'll call him later. Tal-" Elena stopped abruptly and then carried on talking, only faster. "I'll get Tyler to get the fireworks. Our tradition, remember? Since middle school."

"Honey, it's so obvious you miss your sister, and don't you even try to deny it, Elen-"

"And someone needs to pick up the desserts from the bakery," Elena continued as though Caroline didn't speak. "I'll go and collect them, makes it easier for everyone." At that moment, Elena's phone rang and she froze. She let it ring out once she had seen who it was.

"You can't avoid her forever," Caroline murmured, her eyes on the lit up screen.

"You know what, I don't even know why we're bothering with all this," Elena gestured at the food in front of her. "Tyler has invited us for Christmas dinner. Hayley said he wants to party it up and keep his mom's memory alive."

"Oh?" Caroline asked. "You didn't mention this before."

"Slipped my mind," Elena abandoned the vegetable peeler. She reached for the bottle of cooking sherry and gulped it down, stopping midway only when she noticed Caroline staring at her. "What?"