Responsibilities

Albert

It's the end of Day 3 for the Medical and other outreach program here in the remote area of Mindoro. And the team are busy wrapping up for the day for the move to another location tomorrow, other soldiers are manning the perimeter as the sun starting to set when we heard the gunshots.

"Bandits!" one of the soldiers who guarding the western side of the camp shoutes as he hurried down towards the clearing.

Everyone rushed to their position and also the entire crew. They cowered in fear and my heart starting to panic when I can't see my wife in the midst of this chaos.

Despite the fear that's welling inside me, I got  up and struggled to lead my men to go into a full combat mode against the enemies.

Gunshots are everywhere.

I anticipated this. Before we came here, I devised a plan and also brief my soldiers to go into a formation that will effectively corner the enemies. Prior to this, we examined the maps and all exit routes in case something like this might happen.

With my signal, we hurried towards the bushes and tall trees while exchanging fire with the unseen enemies. After a while, we saw the enemies made their retreat with their number decreased into at least more than half.

"Men, scour the area. Don't let them escape." I yelled.

After what seems like eternity of driving the enemies away, two soldiers came into the clearing with an injured man with them.

"Sir, ito po ang hinihinalang leader ng mga grupong iyon. At siya lang po ang natitirang may pulso sa lahat ng mga natamaan natin."

The man doesn't look familiar. Wala siya sa listahan ng mga most-wanted criminals.

"Major Martinez, this man needs to be operated right away." I closed my eyes firmly when I heard that voice.

"Kung dadalhin pa siya sa pinakamalapit na ospital, he will not make the three-hour drive from here." my wife said.

"Kompleto ba kayong ng dalang gamit?" I asked.

"Limited lang sir ang dala namin apparatus but it is sufficient to conduct the operation." sabi ng isang doctor.

"Pero sir, kalaban po siya. Kahit sugatan siya ngayon, threat pa rin siya sa bansa. Hindi po ba mas mainam kung hindi na siya operahan?"

"A soldier's duty is to preserve life. Kalaban man siya o hindi, we need to save him." mariin kong paliwanag. At kung magigising man ang taong ito, maraming impormasyon ang pwedeng makuha mula sa kanya.

"Si Dr. Valdes lang po ang experienced surgeon na kasama natin." sabi ng isang batang nurse. "Paano po sir kung nagkamali si Dr. Valdes, she will be held responsible for this operation."

Hinarap ko ang asawa ko at tinitigan siyang mabuti. Her eyes displayed unwavering confidence and she is silently asking me to trust her.

"Dr. Valdes, can you save him?"

"Yes, Major Martinez." she said unshaken.

That's all it takes for me to give the order, "Then proceed."

"Pero sir--"

"Being the commanding officer of this, I will take full responsibility." I said with unyielding trust and faith of Eula's skills and capabilities as a doctor.