Their Mission

Albert

The first thing on my desk as the new Assistant Chief of Staff of the Civil Military Operations Regiment, is the formation of the Medical Team to be deployed in various areas to help the families who have been affected by insurgencies.

(A/N: Limited knowledge about AFP procedures and protocols let alone activities being conducted. Everything is plain fiction. Keme keme lang po.😅)

"Congratulations Major!" Del Monte bellowed after the mandatory salute.

"Thank you, Captain Del Monte!"

"Permission to speak freely, sir."

"Ano ka ba, tayo lang naman ang narito. Drop the formality." saway ko sa aking kaibigan.

Napangiti lang si Del Monte. "That is what I admire most about you, Bok. You are always stay grounded, no matter your achievements are."

"The plan for a medical outreach you mentioned last month is already being set into motion." I said ignoring his praises.

"Where will I be deployed?"

"You and your team will remain here."

"And I assumed that you will also be retained here being the assistant chief of staff of CMOR." He said.

"I personally asked Gen. De Leon to allow me to be one of the escorts of the medical team and he said I will command the troops which will be deployed in Mindoro." I said.

"Is your wife on the list of doctors?"

I nodded. Pero it was still Dr. Eula Valdes. Not Martinez. No sign of me in her name.

"Mindoro is not that far compare to Basilan. O bakit parang mainit ang ulo mo?"

"She is still identified as Dr. Eula Valdes." I said calmly.

"But she is."

"No. She is now a Martinez." I said.

Napangiti si Del Monte. "Ah, I understand. You leave it as it is, Major. It is better if limited people knew about your connection with the good doctor. Hindi natin alam kung pagkakainteresan siya ng NPA kapag nalaman nilang asawa mo siya."

"That is also what I am considering, Bok. Naalala mo iyong bomba na ginamit last month? Hindi iyon gawa dito sa Pilipinas. Nakita ko ang mga markings nun, and I saw that mark before noong nasa Africa ako."

"Ganyan din ang lumabas na resulta ng imbestigasyon. Pero hindi pa nasisigurado kung ano ba talaga ang koneksyon ng tinutugis nating organisasyon sa mga international terrorists."

Napabuntong-hininga ako. When I was still abroad, I made several enemies who vowed to kill me. Pero hindi ko inisip na susundan ako hanggang dito sa Pilipinas.

"So I presume that your wife will be in Mindoro next week. Good luck. But if I were you, Bok. Both of you should stay more at home...para magkaroon na rin kayo ng anak. Aba, you're not getting any younger Major." Del Monte really knows how to shift a tensed discussion into a light conversation.

Tss.

Paano kami magkakaanak, ni halos ayaw nga niyang pahawak sa akin.

"We'll get there." somehow, I know we'll get there.

...

Two o'clock PM

"Major Martinez, I was the one whom you are talking to on the phone this morning." Dr. Alvarez, the hospital director said.