The Beginning of Hysteria

Albert

I'm engaged!

Yeah! Finally. And to the woman I have been pining for every night since I first laid my eyes on her.

Scrap that 'I do not believe in love at first sight' thing. Because there is really something like that.

But all still feels like a dream. A fairy tale with a happy ending yet still a fantasy.

"Make me your wife."

For all my life, I reckon that is the best order I will give my life to obey.

How could I be so damn lucky? After all the years of playing, of gallivanting with the excuse of soul searching everything went down to this one thing, it all led me to her.

She's perfection and I do not know how come I deserve to have her in my life.

Ah! I must have done something good to be worthy of her.

"Bok, you're up so early."

That's Captain Del Monte, my friend since Academy days.

"I couldn't sleep."

"Trouble?"

I shook my head and smiled a little. "I'm engaged."

"Wow! That's a great news. Congratulations!" he said and patted my back. "To whom?"

"You knew her. She was here last week." I said giving a hint.

"Dr. Valdes?" he guessed.

I nodded.

"Awesome! You're the man, Bok. Parang kahapon lang sinasabi mong She is not my woman tapos ngayon, you are already engaged. So when is the wedding?"

"Eula wanted it to be private ceremony. I'm getting married tomorrow."

"Bakit kayo nagmamadali? Tell me honestly, Bok, buntis na ba?" nakangiting tanong niya. There is no hint of mockery of teasing in his voice, just plain inocence.

"Hindi, Bok. We both wanted it to be quick. Eula has stalker or stalkers that she wanted to avoid. Baka manggulo kasi."

Napaisip si Capt. Del Monte.

"Now that you mention it, I remember from last year's medical mission in the mountains of Cordilleras, may sunod ng sunod noon sa amin. He is a civillian and when we asked him, he said that he is part of the medical team. Taga buhat kasi ng mga supplies noon and everytime I check on him, his eyes is always fixated on Dr. V. Hindi ko na pinagtuunan ng pansin noon kasi I thougt wala lang."

Suddenly, I felt my blood boiling sa mga kwento niya.

"That must be him." He added.

"He is now under the custody of the PNP. Hindi ko lang alam kung kailan makakalabas. Eula filed charges of attempted rape."

"That bad?"

"Yes."

"No wonder, Bok. Dr. Valdes is a woman of virtue."

"Did you attempted to woe her?" I asked. There is a deep admiration in his voice which made me suspect that somehow he is inclined to her.

"I did." He admitted. "But she is in a relationship at that time and theirs are already on the rocks. She wanted to save what's left so she forbid me for pursuing her."