His Guardian

Eula

I was walking on the hospital hallway when three paramedics burst in through the main entrance wheeling uniformed soldier on a stretcher. The sheets and his clothes are covered with blood.

From the looks of it, too much blood was already loss.

I stopped one of the soldier who accompanies the injured soldier.

"Anong nangyari?"

"Nagkaroon po ng engkwentro sa Aquino Building."

Wait! Andoon ngayon si Albert.

A terrible sense of foreboding washed over me. I rushed to the Emergency Room as I was being paged to go there.

Sana hindi si Albert iyon. I prayed silently.

...

Inside the ER, Dr. Galvez is instructing one of the nurses, "Conduct X-ray right away, we need to know exactly where the bullet went through."

I checked on the patient and tear up when I saw Albert's pale face.

"Dr. Valdes, I am your accompanying surgeon for this operation." Dr. Galvez said.

I steeled myself to prevent the tears from falling.

Then a nurse handed me the x-ray result.

"He was shot in the abdomen. The bullet went through the lower left anterior abdominal wall. It went to the peritoneal cavity but no injuries to vital organs. We are going to perform Laparoscopic surgery."

....

"The patient's emergency contact is not answering."

"Try again."

"There is no need for that. I will take full responsibility for the patient." I said when I heard Dr. Galvez and one of the nurse.

Dr. Galvez and the nurse eyed each other.

"I am the patient's guardian." I finally explained.

"Dr. Valdes, we know you care for any patient under your care but you cannot take all responsibility for them all the time."

"You do not understand, I am his wife. And technically, I am his legal guardian."

Both are in utter disbelief.

"I can attest to that. Dr. Valdes is indeed the patient's wife." Dr. Alcantara butted in.

"Well, that is a headline for me." said Dr. Galvez. "I do not know when it happened and I probably not be saying this but congratulations."

I just nodded in acknowledgement.

"But is it okay for you to do this?" Dr. Galvez asked.

"Yes."

"Then let's go." Dr. Galvez said and enter the Operating Room.

I followed him.

"Dr. Valdes." Dr. Alcantara called out. "You know I should not let you perform this surgery. Personal engtanglements to the patient is dangerous."

"I am a professional surgeon, Dr. Alcantara. I can manage the stress and separate my personal entanglements. To me, he is just a patient needed immediate medical care."