Chapter 18.

When we got to the town jail and I was escorted into the back cell of a room that I was sent to, I was not surprised to see..., him. My ex-husband's grandfather, Judge Lester Blackthorn. He had a smug look on his ugly face, like knowing that he was going to win no matter what. Not if I had anything to say about it, I thought quietly.

"Well, well, well, and look what the cat has dragged In." He said as he gave me another smug look. I rolled my eyes at him and shook my head. When I opened my eyes again, I saw him trying to reach for Katie, but I turned away making sure that my daughter would never touch that vile man's hands.

" You will give me my great-granddaughter now."

He said as he demanded me to listen to him. I shook my head, "No. I will not hand my daughter over to you."

He opened his arms indicating the situation I was currently in and exhaled, "as you can see Laura you are not in a place to decide the future of my great-granddaughter."

I scoffed it, "what do you mean great-granddaughter? You denied her existence even before she was born! You said you wanted nothing to do with her or me because I married your precious grandson. What has changed Lester?"

"Not that it's any of your business Laura, but that child in your arms is my great-granddaughter and the heir to my estate."
Taken back I stepped away from him, "what do you mean you're heir?"

"Exactly what I just said. You have to hand her over to me, because as you can see you are Criminal! You have committed a crime there for putting her in my custody."

" I did not commit a crime, in fact, all I did was defend myself and my daughter from a vile and vicious man, no doubt a man who is in your inner circle. I am sure you know who Henry Westin is don't you Lester?"

" Regardless of the circumstances Laura, you are a criminal of the law and I as judge of the law deem you to be an unfit mother."

I was about to reply back to him and to tell him off when the door to jail cell opened and in walked Sheriff Thorpe and Jordan. Jordan immediately walked towards me gathered me into his arms kissing me on the cheek and then he and I faced Lester together. I whispered into Jordan's ear, "what are you doing here?"
He looked at me from the corner of his eye and smiled.

"Don't you recall our vows, my love? That I would stick to you through thick and thin, to protect you from any danger no matter what it may be, and to remain by your side till death do us part. Well here I am my love," he said, as he tucked me closer into his embrace.

" I am so happy that I met a man as generous and as kind as you," I said as I gave him a kiss in return. He laughed and held me closer, I then began to make introductions.

"Lester Blackthorn this is my husband Jordan Green, and he is the father to Katie. So you have no jurisdiction at all," I said as I gave him back his smug look. He must have looked shocked, as he took a step back, but then his face changed color, it went from his normal pasty white to an abnormal red and he started shouting at me, "You will hand over that child to me this instant!"

Jordan slapped his hand away,

" If you take one more step towards my daughter and my wife I will have Sheriff Thorpe put you in a jail cell."

Lesser blustered. 

   "How dare you talk back to me." He threatened.

" How dare I? What gives you the right to demand that my wife hand over our daughter to you? From what I have heard, you have disowned your grandson who is dead now. And from what Laura has told me, you were violent to her, during her pregnancy. I heard that you pushed her out of a carriage to get your point across when she tried to tell you that she was pregnant with your great-grandchild. But you disregarded her and called her a whore and a slut. And told her to never darken your doorway again.

So again I repeat, what gives you the right to demand that my wife hand over our daughter to you?"

Lester fumed with rage. Sensing the animosity in the room, Sheriff Thorpe finally took it upon himself to step in between our conversation.

" From the papers I have received from Victoria Green , these indicate that you have no jurisdiction to the custody of this child. In fact I do not believe that this woman has done anything wrong. And I am a excellent judge of character, all I can see is a mother protecting her child.

I do not want you in this building anymore Judge Blackthorn, I expect you to leave the premises this instant. If you resist I will have my deputies drag you away from the building."

As he walked away, Judge Lester Blackthorn turned towards me glared at me and Jordan and threatened that he would be back and that Katie would be his.