Number 33

I sat beside Diego as he ate what was considered a healthy lunch...I had no idea what he was eating. But when you're starving, hospital food must take fantastic.

"So, where did you go earlier?" Diego asked me, shoving some bread into his mouth.

"Just had something to do, don't worry" I assured him. "It's all sorted now, now we can relax" I added, trying to get comfortable in the chair.

"I have been meaning to ask you about something...or tell you" Diego told me, shoving another mouthful into his mouth. I looked at him and raised my eyebrow.

"If you are about to tell me, that you are going to return to boxing after this accident. I won't hesitate in leaving right now" I warned him. "Isn't a punctured lung and several broken ribs a good enough excuse to tell you, boxing is finished" I added.

"I wasn't going to say that at all" he added.

"Oh, well, carry on" I told him, leaning back in the chair again.

"Obviously, I need to find a job, after I am well...it will be either for the duration of getting the house, or after" he added "So, I've been thinking, with my experience, I need to do something I would enjoy as well, something similar"

"Don't say wrestling" I warned him. Diego chuckled at me in response.

"No, baby it isn't wrestling...I was thinking of being a bouncer" he added "That way I can protect people, and sort people out, and I am sure they won't exactly mess with a guy from the Umbrella Academy" he chuckled.

I looked at Diego, surprised. I honestly didn't see this coming. And I was actually proud of him. "Really?" I asked him.

"Yeah...I know a lot of it would be nights, and I know how you feel about me not being there- "

"Diego, if it has anything to do with a normal job, I'm all for it" I told him, leaning forward and taking his hand. "All I want is us to have somewhat of a normal life" I added. "Normal jobs, normal place to live, normal family"

"Aside from your glowing red hands" he chuckled at me, before wincing in pain.

"Hey, let's face it, we are never going to be normal, but we can damn well try to make it as normal as we can"

"What happens when we have kids?" Diego asked me, searching for my reaction.

"What about that?" I asked.

"Well, one, when were you planning on wanting me to plant my seed into you- "

"Diego!" I laughed, slapping his arm carefully.

"Two, you know they aren't gonna be normal...Allison's, Claire, might be normal, because Allison procreated with a human" he explained "For all Allison knows, Claire might have something hidden beneath her, and one day it's gonna come up. But when it comes to us...we both have abilities, so, there is a chance that it's gonna be passed on, or that something new will be created...how do you feel about that?"

"You know, I am up for a challenge" I assured Diego. An image washed over my mind. Two kids, boy and a girl, clique I know.

The little boy would run around wearing Diego's old mask, holding plastic or Styrofoam blades, throwing them, making them go where he wanted them to. While the little girl would sit on the floor, cross legged, making her dolls fly in the air, surrounded by glowing psionics.

"As long as our future kids are happy, that's all I care about...I know we can handle it, one child at a time" she smiled.

Diego nodded in agreement. "There's a few things we need to do before you started pushing kids out of your vag- "