22.

-HER-

I froze when I felt his presence. I had my back to him but I could feel his eyes on me, tracing my skin. It felt too overwhelming.

I stayed quiet and still as he asked me questions in different languages. I did not answer any of his questions. I kept my eyes shut and heard his voice. There was something strange about the tone of his voice.

It was as if he was pretending to be stern. I did not read much into it. The wolves were confusing. It only made my will to run away even stronger.

He tried talking to me but when I didn't answer any of his questions, he left me alone. I sighed when I found myself alone. I did not know if it was day or night or whether I could see the sky again. I was trapped.

I was having trouble coming up with any ideas to escape. I couldn't use my powers for a couple of days because I was still very week. If I use my power again then it may kill me. It was surprising how I still had the will to live.

Even if I managed to escape alive from here, Cleopatra would kill me because I had failed to kill the Queen of wolves anyway. Where would I go then? It may sound pathetic but currently, the prison provided the only roof over my head.

I was somewhat safe here until the wolves decided to have their way with me. It made me shudder when I thought of him having his way with me. My stomach dipped and the memories of Chefren forcing himself on me greeted me.

He reminded me every bit of Chefren. I didn't want another Chefren in my life. I had to stay away from him at all costs.

I didn't know how long I had been lost in my thoughts. I looked over my shoulder when I heard footsteps again. It was the tall she-wolf again. She was opening the doors. She had my interest instantly.

I kept my eyes glued to her as she locked the doors behind her before she walked towards me with shackles. She must have read my eyes because the tips of her lips curved up into a smirk.

"Someone's waiting to meet you," she mused. I tried to keep my face blank but her words made me somewhat anxious internally. What did she mean by that?

I tried to struggle as she tried to shackle my hands. I was still weak and she was a warrior. Only a hard smack across my face had me stop moving before she decorated my hands with the shackles.

As I waited for her to take me away, she looked at my hair and sighed. I watched her collect it together before tying them in a bizarre manner. I hissed and glared at her when she pulled too roughly.

After she was done with my hair, she finally grabbed my arm and pulled me on my feet. I groaned in pain as she dragged me out of the prison.

I didn't know where she was taking me but I knew that wherever it was, it was bad. Was I finally going to be executed? The thought made my stomach churn painfully. My heart raced in my chest and my ears rang. What if I was really going to be executed?

I shook my head and concentrated on walking. She was more interested in dragging me through the stairs. I wanted to curse out loud but I kept my lips pressed in a thin line.

She was very powerful and rough. Her tall height and extra muscles gave her an advantage over me. I groaned when I was finally able to see the sunlight. She continued dragging me before I was being taken into a huge room.

It was filled with people, mostly people from the court. I spotted Arles and his mate, Nefret. Beside them stood their heir. I did not look at him. Whenever I looked at him, I got a weird feeling and I did not like it. Though, I was subconsciously aware of him, which I shouldn't be.

Everyone's eyes were on me. I could feel their intensity. I could feel their anger and resentment. I was scared and anxious. It didn't look like they were going to execute me but I was certainly going to be questioned and judging by the people who were present here, I doubted that it would be anything but comfortable for me.

I was being sat on a chair before my legs and hands were all tied. The tall she-wolf was always by my side. I don't know why but as the big waves of fear surmounted me, I found myself leaning towards her as if she could save me.

I heard footsteps behind me before a dark-skinned witch stepped in front of me. I was able to tell that she was a witch due to the magic I felt in her psyche. I soon understood that they intended to use magic to interrogate me. Though I wondered if it was going to work on me.

I had the blood of one of the most powerful enchantresses across all realms. I must be able to resist a mere witch's magic.

The witch's face looked familiar and soon it clicked. She was the tall she-wolf's mother. As soon as the witch stepped in front of me and looked at my face, her eyes widened. It made me freeze.

Did she recognize me? I held my breath as she stepped in front of me to look at me properly. I knew that she was trying to feel if I had anything in my psyche. Her eyebrows came together before she looked at the royal couple.

"Psaltisi?" She muttered in confusion. I saw the people freeze due to fear and confusion. For me, it was impressive to see that I had the same effect on mortals and the gods.

Everyone was scared of me.

As the room grew silent and tense, I threw my head back and laughed. It bounced on the empty stone walls, sending a shiver down everyone's spine.

...

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read Chapter 23, 24, 25 & 26 on Inkitt for free! It's an ad-free website. All you need to do is download the app. The link is in my bio :D

You can binge-read up to chapter 35 on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: Caught, The Trident's Legacy

The next update will be on Friday. Thanks for reading and take care!

-Benita