Story of Sebastian, Chap 16

• Dedicated to Liz Dunn

Chapter Sixteen:

Sebastian stared down the dark alley, taking a minute to acclimate. His minute ended abruptly as the sound of crashing wood grabbed his attention. He ran for the sound and skidded to halt at the end of the alley.

“Sorcha! Stop!” He called out and was ignored.

Sorcha was in the middle of a square of pubs. At least seven guys surrounded her, with a few more scattered around the ground. Everyone had a few bumps and bruises with bloody shirts. Sebastian was grateful that the local police rarely dealt with this area of town, choosing instead to let it settle itself.

Sebastian jumped into the fray as two guys rushed forward. He let out a roar as he threw each back with a quick hand grab. They landed safely but scrambled after they got up. Two down, five more idiots to go.

“What are you doing here?”

“Saving your ass,” Sebastian responded. “Do you know how much attention you’ve drawn to yourself?”

“So,” she shrugged and kicked at an advancing guy.

“So? The entire magical world knows you’re here right now!”

Sebastian was stopped in his explanation by another advancing drunk brute. He punched the guy, shattering his nose on impact. Sebastian sighed and stared around them. The other men were not letting down and it looked like a few more had joined in.

“What the hell did you do?”

Sorcha smiled. “I riled up a street gang. Fun, huh?”

He rolled his eyes and sighed. Better to end it quickly, street gangs had a way of constantly adding to their ranks. The long, curved blade appeared at his side and Sebastian smiled as a few men faltered. Oh yes, the best sober-upper was a long dangerous sword. He grinned wider as flame flashed across the blade. At least four of the men suddenly changed their mind and took off.

“You’re ruining it,” Sorcha pouted.

Sebastian’s anger kicked into overdrive and he felt his body shake. He closed his eyes to try to wrestle with the urge to strangle her. When his eyes opened, Sebastian was stunned. Nothing was moving around him. Even a nearby crate hung in mid-air.

“What the fuck,” he whispered and turned to Sorcha.

She stood there, frozen in her pout. Sebastian waved his hand in front of her face, still nothing. He turned in a fast circle, trying to find a sign of anyone else nearby. Nothing. Apparently, he’d done this miraculous feat.

“I can freeze time,” he huffed and grabbed Sorcha.

He concentrated and went to the first place he could think of.

Lucias rose from his study and followed his servant out to the entry. It had been designed as an antiques shop to hide what was truly buried deep within the walls. Most people believed the rest of the building was merely storage for a large antiquity dealer. He smiled slightly at how well the deception worked. Most people dealt only with his servant and they did a steady business with the ignorant humans. It also kept them off the supernatural radar. A long history of peace and quiet that his recent guest threatened to destroy.

“I didn’t expect you back so soon.”

Sebastian looked up, Sorcha draped over his shoulder. “You know I hate to ask…”

“But you need my help,” Lucias grinned. “Certainly.”

            Sebastian knew that grin. It was going to cost him, heavily.  “I have your word, no harm to Sorcha?”

Lucias bowed, “My word as a vampire.”

It didn’t sound promising, but vampires could actually be trusted to keep their vows. Lucias’ promise ensured that Sorcha would stay safe and probably be treated as a special guest. It also meant that Lucias would transfer all the protection of the coven to keeping her safe. It was the best Sebastian could hope for.

Unfortunately, it meant that Lucias’ plans for payment involved him.