Missed Call

- Damien Black

"...I don't know if you care but I'm going to let you go...I...Lo—Goodbye Damien." 

I stared vacantly at the ceiling

The machine asked me if I'd like to play it again and I said yes. This wouldn't be the first time too, I've been playing it over and over again for almost an hour. 

I'm beginning to feel numb the more I listen. But the one feeling I can feel, anger.

Anger that I missed the call.

Anger that she thinks I don't care.

Anger that I allowed her to feel that way.

ANGER that she gave the fuck up on us!

Admittedly I was the one who broke us up. The one who began this shit. Even so, letting me go and moving on to some other guy. That fucking irritates me. It irritates me that this is all my fault, I'm the one who pushed her that direction, and this is nowhere near her fault.

I'm such an idiot, why'd I think letting her go was good for either of us? I've pushed her into the arms of another man and I'm going crazy with constant jealousy. 

Suddenly my thoughts are cut off by the loud banging on my door. Detective Martinez and I are traveling by car to Roxanne's home town and thought checking into a hotel would be wiser than sleeping in the same car together. He must be knocking to tell me times up and we got to go.

I open the door and there he was. "Good morning."

"I'd say good morning to you but judging by the bags under your eyes, you probably didn't sleep at all last night." Martinez sighed. "I've got some news."

From the sound of this, it seems bad. "Don't tip toe around it, just tell me."

"The case has been dismissed. Roxanne called her father yesterday, she told him she's fine and safe. So he's calling off the search. Besides it's not our problem, it's the town’s problem. Which means my job here is done and I've got to go back."

Why'd I think she only called me? "Shit. What the fuck am I supposed to do? I'm not giving up on finding her."

"Thought you might say that, so I called a friend of mine. He's a private investigator, he'll help you find her." Martinez turned around, but before stepping away he said. "Set things straight and get the girl back. It's common to find two people in love who do crazy things, but rare to admit and fix those mistakes."

And at that Martinez walked to his car and went inside, then drove away. 

*****

The more I listen to this voice mail, the less mentally stable I become. My feelings are all over the place, should I just leave her alone?—Give up?—Go back home?—Force her to come back?—Hope she chooses to come back to me? What’s the right way? 

This so irritating! Waiting for this private investigator isn’t helping either, I’d rather be on the road and planning out a way to approach and find her. Not at this stupid hotel room staring at the ceiling and listening to the same voice mail another hundred times.

- Knock Knock – 

I instantly hop off my bed and stalk towards the door. Without any hesitation I opened the door and standing in front of me was a woman. She was wearing a Nirvana shirt and some faded denim shorts, a pair of circular glasses and black converse. The woman has short dark hair and pale skin, she was fairly thin and pretty short.