Not The One

- Damien Black -

Cutting ties with Roxanne once and for all was something that I needed desperately. Its like a breath of fresh air to actually sit down and not hope for a future between us. She is with Bryon and I am with Brooke, we've both found happiness even without each other. 

After the talk I had with Roxanne, I went straight home to my woman and apologized for my behavior. And that although I may not be in love with her yet, maybe one day it will happen and I can't wait. 

Unfortunately, somewhere deep down inside of me even I know that's impossible.

It is nice to dream at least. 

*****

* A week later * 

"No fucking way." Tristan says, his eyes wide. "Was it really her? You sure you're not hallucinating?"

I nod my head. "Yeah, it was her in the flesh."

"Wow how'd that go?" He asks. "Did you...you know talk?" 

Its always nice to see your closest friend, especially when they live thousands of miles away. Tristan and I still kept contact after making amends years ago. And although I'm the reason he divorced his first love, he learned to forgive me and slowly we're building that bridge I burned decades ago. 

I sipped on my beer and glanced at the tv. "Yes we did and it went...well."

"Liar, liar pants on fire." Tristan chuckled.

My attention slid from the sports to him. "Dude you're over thirty years old and just said 'Liar, liar pants on fire'."

"Well you're also over thirty and not only mimicked me but said 'Dude'." 

He had a point. "Touche'."

"So what're you lying about really Damien? I know you bro, somethings bothering you." Tristan knew me so well it got on my nerves. 

I leaned forwards and placed my elbows on my knees. "I've been hoping to see her for so long and when I finally do...its just to say goodbye. Maybe its because I had expectations but I really wished we'd be together. But its impossible, she is happily with another man and has a kid. Something both you and I know I couldn't give her. I want her to be happy...but I want her to be happy with me."

"I understand what you mean. You wish things went differently yet there's no way to change whats been done." Tristan says. "D.B., you are with beautiful woman who cooks some kick-ass cookies. Maybe saying goodbye was to finally accept whats in front of you."

It didn't feel like it was. "Yeah."

"Or maybe," Tristan began. "It was fate that something life changing will happen soon and all you have to do is be patient."

I chuckled. "You know when you're drunk you get deep."

"Thats what Eve says, she hides all the beer in the house now." He begins to laugh. "Sometimes I slide into bed and just talk about why the stars exist."

I join him in the laughter. "I'm surprised she hasn't left your crazy ass yet."

"You and me both brother!" The sounds of his laughter fills the room with a nostalgic vibe, a happy one. "I must be good in bed or something."

I scoffed. "Dude! I don't need to know that!"

"Hey I've been staying in your house for a couple of days, which mean I have heard way more than I should have coming from your bed room." He grins and starts speaking in his generic woman voice. "Oh Damien, yes Damien, harder Damien! Harder yes harder!"