Last Wishes

Damien Black

Vexatious beeps fill the void of sound in the room.

Right before me was the woman who gave birth to me, raised me. Her body was almost lifeless, the only thing providing me hope is the machines that are connected and monitoring her.

I've been here for two days, watching her and hoping for a response. The doctors tell me that they can't do anything until she regains consciousnesses.

"You know you really should go back the house and catch some shut eye, bro. Living off coffee and half an hour of rest it bad for you." Donny says walking into the room, holding two cups of coffee.

I reach for my cup and take no time sipping it. "How can I possibly leave her, Donny? What if something happens and I'm not here?"

"Listen," Donny sits. "This is mom we're talking about, she'll pull through, she always does."

I frown. "Be realistic. She got into this huge car accident and had some quote on quote 'serious trauma'. You can't possibly think she'll wake up and be fine."

"I never said she'll be fine, I said she'll pull through." He sighs. "I'm scared too Damien, trust me, I'm petrified. However, I can't sit here and think of just the bad. I believe if you put faith into something, something...even if it's not major...something will work out."

I've forgotten how Donny is always hopeful of the outcome of situations, he's a half-glass full kind of guy. He'll always look a challenge in the eyes and never let his hope waver.

Unfortunately I'm not like that, I see the glass for what it is. It's just half a glass of water to me nothing less...nothing more.

I scoff. "Don, when you called me and told me she was in an accident...I left without missing a beat. On the way here I thought the same, that she'll pull through. It's mom why wouldn't she. But, lets be honest...even if she did wake up whose to say the outcome would be worse than her dying—"

"Because she woke up." Donny scowled. "Our mother is alive, she's fighting on that bed for her life and you're giving up on her? What kind of son are you?"

He's right. No son should be saying such things about his mother. I can't help it though, it's a defense mechanism. I'm not going to be hopeful just to see that she's not going to make it. I'd not only feel the incurable sadness but disappointment that the women who devoted her life to make sure we lived well, couldn't make it.

That my hero would die.

I stand up. "Maybe...I do need some rest."

"Its understandable you're horrified at the idea of putting faith into something with an unknown outcome. I know you Damien, you are the type of person to hold in these feelings and take it out on yourself. Even so, can you tell me one time, just one. When mom has disappointed us?"

Without saying another word, I left the room.

*****

My lungs burned and heart raced as I ran through the hallways of the hospital. Donny had called me, he told me to get here immediately.

When I reached the door of her room and went inside, I almost broke down completely.

"What took you so long?" She says weakly.

I couldn't believe it. "Mom?"