Universe

- Damien Black - 

The universe has a funny way of surprising someone, whether its a disease or endless wealth it always catches you off guard. You never really prepare for these things, I mean how could you?

Today I've been graced with the universes surprise. 

Standing before me was the last person I thought I'd ever see. After two long years of waiting, I gave up on the hope that we'd ever lock eyes like this again. Another thing that has taken me off guard was the child next to me that referred to her as "mama". 

Mama? 

Within seconds the boy ran down towards her. "Mama!"

I watched as she had kneeled down to pick him up and when she did, her eyes slid back to me. She observed me with curious eyes, a look that was way too familiar to me. 

There was no use in being silent, however, I couldn't help but fear that this was actually real. That she was standing right there, holding a child. I'm not crazy, I can't be. 

It was her

It was Roxanne Grey. 

Her hair grew out, longer and more luscious than when I previously saw her. Her eyes were still that gorgeous amber, with the same spark hiding inside. Interestingly enough, the thing that left me in awe was how mature she looked. How the last time I saw her she was an eighteen year old girl, blooming into woman-hood and now she is a woman.

Finally I opened my mouth. "Rox—"

"Damien, what're you doing? I'm waiting for these beverages." Brooke says, behind me.

Roxannes eyes dropped to the ground, an uncomfortable expression forming on her face. I know these looks too well, I know her thoughts and what she's going to do. All of it is so familiar to me it almost feels like the last time I saw her was yesterday not five years ago.

"Damien are you okay?" Brooke walks next to me and notices Roxanne. "Oh..."

While holding the boy, Roxanne bites her lip then says. "I...I'm sorry that he bothered you."

After Roxanne finished apologizing for the child, I watched as she turned around and started to walk away. The urge to run after her was hastily growing inside of me. It felt as if I didn't chase her I'd think about this moment for the rest of my life. 

"Damien." Brooke crosses her arms. "Wasn't that the same girl...the one Martinez hired me to find? What was her name?" 

Watching Roxanne vanish before my eyes like she did five years ago, left a vexatious itch inside of me. With Brooke, my girlfriend, next to me it wouldn't be very boyfriend like to follow his old love. So I fought and fought this distressing desire. 

"Okay somethings wrong with you," She says. "You look as pale as a ghost Damien, you can't stop staring into space."

I clenched my fists repeatedly, calming myself down. "Don't worry about it."

"You don't sound too well either."

That's because I'm not. 

Before I lashed out on Brooke, I turned around and walked down the isle. "Hurry up, I want to go home."

She didn't reply to me and instead stayed quiet and finished shopping quickly. 

*****