CHAPTER 72

|Mount Justice

|November 5 2010, 19:35

"Katherine!",  Artemis shouted.

Katherine's first thought was that she was about to be scolded for smoking here again. Instead she was surprised with a new face. Standing next to Artemis was a young girl with blue eyes and long raven hair. She looked no older than Robin- too young to be anywhere near Mount Justice or the League. So, not too surprising after all.

"Mhm?" Katherine made sure to blow her smoke away from the girls as they walked out onto the balcony to join her.

The young girl diverted her eyes away from Katherine, looking over at Artemis uneasily. 

Artemis gave her a sympathetic nod before introducing her, "Katherine, I'd like you to meet Zatanna. She's Zatara's daughter."

"That so?" Katherine looked Zatanna up and down. 

From how the girl appeared you could tell she definitely resembled Zatara, but after Artemis' cover as Green Arrow's niece, Katherine found herself wary of anyone new who claimed to be related to a leaguer.

"Y-Yeah..", Zatanna didn't make eye contact with Katherine, "My father..he said you two go way back."

Katherine nodded, looking away from the girls as she exhaled and took another draw from her cigarette. "I've known Zatara for a few years.", She admitted, "We don't exactly get along, but I won't hold that against you. We aren't our parents."

Artemis nodded in agreement. "You could've met her on Halloween, but you said you were busy with Robin...", She trailed off for a moment before continuing, "Lucky for you she's visiting Mount Justice again today, so you can finally meet her. I thought it'd be fun for you to get to know her more, maybe let her get to know you a little too?"

Katherine flicked her cigarette out of her hand and into the woodlands below before looking back at Artemis with a deadpan expression.

She had to be kidding. 

Zatanna cleared her throat and timidly spoke up, "Artemis says you have habit of rebelling against the Justice League."

"Does she?", Katherine scoffed a little, "What else did Artemis say?"

Clearly, Artemis had said something to make Zatanna so nervous. 

Zatanna panicked, "N-Nothing bad! I-I just mean to say I do too.." She sheepishly smiled, "I'm actually skipping my catholic school in NYC to meet you."

"Catholic school..", Katherine couldn't help but smile at the attempt to impress her, "That's cute...but I know you come from a religious Italian bloodline, so chances are you would've attended a catholic school over others anyway. Even then, everyone knows the regular public schools in New York City are competing with the ones in Gotham City-and not for a good title either."

Zatanna looked confused, "How do you-?"

"I may not look much older than you, but I've been in the game for a while." Katherine tilted her head in curiosity, "I still don't think you're the type to rebel though, you'll have to prove that..." She stopped talking and covered her ears as the bioship approached the hangar below them. "Anyway, that's them back with Batman's shopping. We better go and call dibs on the good snacks before Wally does."

**********

"We've set up a refugee center at the high school gym.", Wally said over the group chat voice call, which Robin had linked up to the Cave since the League- the adults, everywhere, had suddenly vanished. "Any luck with-?"