CHAPTER 26

|Santa Prisca
|July 23 2010, 03:58

"This mission is a disaster!", Robin threw his hands in the air. He looked over at Aqualad, "What do we even do?!- The whole island will be searching for us!"

Aqualad sighed, "We leave. We have enough information to report back to The League, and-", He turned to face Catgirl, "We need to get Catgirl away from Santa Prisca, immediately."

"From Bane.", Miss Martian nodded. Aqualad gave her a subtle frown, then caught Catgirl's eyes and sighed, walking ahead of the team.

The whole Catgirl-Bane situation was making the mission that much harder, and despite betraying Bane for the team, nobody seemed to trust her anymore.

"What...what's gonna happen to her?", Kid Flash asked the question he'd been overthinking ever since the truth about her time on Santa Prisca- and the truth about her current arrangement with Batman came out.

The most likely outcome would involve Belle Reve, but that would only be temporary- Catgirl knew as soon as she stepped back in the prison her memories of escaping and how she did it would return to her. She just wasn't ready to face her mother again; if she thought she could handle it she would've already had her revenge.

She couldn't stay with Bane though, especially after betraying him back in the factory. Her only real option was to go back with the team to Mount Justice and hope Batman understood why she kept her history with Santa Prisca and Bane a secret.

It was that or the third option, the option that would ruin everything.

Catgirl stopped walking and sighed, pulling out her gun.

She couldn't risk going back to Belle Reve before she was ready, and she couldn't stay on Santa Prisca- not if Bane was alive.

"Catgirl...what are you doing?" Miss Martian's eyes widened as she realised.

The team had stopped and cautiously watched her.

"I can't go back." Katherine corrected, "I won't go back."

"Kath-"

"Don't make me kill you twice." Catgirl clicked the safety off, keeping the gun on Robin. He was the most likely to try and stop her- the most likely to succeed.

Robin frowned, "C'mon, Katherine, talk to me."

Catgirl didn't let her guard down. He'd tried to pull this trick one too many times. "Just keep walking, I'll catch up."

"You're further on than you're letting on, aren't you?", Robin ignored her threat, "Your urge to kill, it's getting stronger-"

"The gun's purely for motivation.", Catgirl impatiently tapped her claw on the gun.", I'm not planning on firing."

"Good." Aqualad was the first of the team to snap out of the shock. "Put it away."

"I can't." She motioned her head in the direction of Kid Flash, who was ready to run at her, "Second I take my finger off the trigger, he'll tackle me to the ground and you'll forcefully take me back to Mount Justice. Batman will send me back to Belle Reve as soon as he finds out-"

"Batman doesn't need to find out.", Aqualad said, "If anything your connection to the island and Bane helped the mission, so for that I'm sure the team will keep it secret."

"So you can lower the gun...", Robin put his empty hands up, "You can trust us not to let anything bad happen to you."

Catgirl's breath shook slightly at the familiarity of the situation. She'd always hated that feeling of déjà vu.