CHAPTER 29

|Mount Justice
|July 30 2010, 01:27

It had now been a week since Santa Prisca, and Catgirl still hadn't returned to Mount Justice. Robin had just found out she'd been hiding in Gotham, but the call was traced by The Batcave so now Batman did too. He was still not too happy with Katherine and how she lied about her past, so Robin knew he needed to find her before he did, to prevent a fight Katherine would certainly lose.

Robin got up from his spot on the couch after ending his call with Katherine, waking up Superboy who'd been sleeping next to him. After moving into Mount Juetice, Superboy would often doze off while watching his favourite TV show; the static. Nobody dared to tell him that wasn't a real channel, but a lack of one.

"What...what time is it?", Superboy groggily asked. Robin opened up his wrist computer. "What are you still doing here, shouldn't you be in Gotham with Batman?" Superboy had an almost bitter tone to his voice as he said 'Batman'.

Unlike Robin, the team had no idea of Katherine's whereabouts, just that she went with Roy to lay low for a while.

"Probably, yeah." Robin tried to use this as a queue to leave, without telling him the truth, but Superboy saw right through it- that or he was only pretending to sleep during his call with Katherine.

"Do you think she'll actually show?", he asked, "Can you really trust Catgirl?"

Robin narrowed his eyes a little. "Yes." Ever since the mission, Superboy had started to lose trust in Katherine. Most of the team were weary of her now they knew she had the tendency to lie, but they accepted that it was to protect herself from being judged and forgave her for it- as long as she promised not to hide helpful information in the future.

Superboy didn't.

Ever since Cadmus, his relationship towards Katherine had slowly started to become bitter, and Robin couldn't do anything to fix it- Katherine had to gain his trust back on her own.

"Then where is she- where was she hiding?", Superboy asked.

Robin went quiet. He knew where she was recently, but due to the terms of the new contract she didn't have to tell him where she was currently hiding, so she didn't.

"Exactly, she didn't tell you." Superboy sat up straighter, turning off the static on the TV. "She doesn't trust us either."

"It's not like that.", Robin defended her, "She's just takes a long time to trust people- and I don't know where she's been most of this week, but I know where she will be, and if she says she'll be there I trust her."

Superboy narrowed his eyes, "And if she's not?"

"She'll be there.", Robin assured, "Trust her of not, it's in her best interest to be there, so she'll be there. I'm going to protect her."

"Catgirl doesn't need protection.", Superboy crossed his arms.

Robin lightly chuckled. That much was true; Katherine could handle herself.

"Then I'll go to stand by her, to prevent another situation where she risks being compromised by her emotions." Robin glanced at the time on his computer, adding, "And if I don't check in with The Cave in an hour or so then you'll know I was wrong and that she really can't be trusted- but she'll be there, and hopefully here, by sunrise."

Superboy got up from the couch, turning to The Cave's computer system before wandering off towards the bedrooms, still unconvinced Katherine could be trusted.

Robin knew he'd just have to prove him wrong when it came to her.

**********

Mooney Bridge. It was the place Katherine and Robin had their worst memories- a place Katherine had been trying to avoid due to that. However, recently, it seemed to become their main meeting place, where they'd regroup after time apart. Their secret rendezvous point.

A lot had happened over the week on Katherine's side; she'd tracked down dozens of potential targets and warned them of the possible danger she'd put on them- she'd even reunited with Artemis, who she'd not seen in 6 years, but she had no idea what had happened on Robin's side, with the team. All she really knew was they were punished for the Santa Prisca mission.

Katherine had many reasons for keeping her past on the island secret, but a big part of it was to avoid a very painful conversation she'd been putting off for years; her ultimate secret that had the power to ruin her if it came up again: her older brother, Felix.

It'd been over 10 years since she lost him, but the memories of that night- of him, were still unbearable to think about, and trying to grieve him now, after so much emotion had built up was dangerous not just to The GCPD officers who managed to survive her previous killing spree, but anyone else who tried to stop her from completely avenging his death.

Katherine wiped her now watery eyes and sighed, leaning back on the bridge's suicide barrier as she looked up at the sky.

She remembered watching the stars with Felix, before they became hidden by the thick clouds of pollution- and that bat signal. Back then, before all that, life was so much better. Katherine missed it.

"Katherine?"

"Robin."

She kept her eyes up at the sky, incase any tears accidentally fell.

Even after Bane and her talked about him, Felix was still a secret to most people.

Robin made his way over to her and allowed himself to fall back onto the barrier next to her. He too watched the sky, guessing, "I take it Batman's been too busy to look for you..." He had his eyes on the Bat Signal.

He knew it meant he was also needed somewhere, but considered Katherine to be his priority right now.

"Probably.", Katherine mumbled.

"Did something happen?", Robin asked, picking up on her low mood. "With your last friend. I mean- Is she ok? Are you?", he asked, watching her with concern.

Katherine turned her head away from him to hide her face. "No, she's fine.", She kept glumly mumbling, "And I'm fine, stop worrying."

"If you say so..." Robin stared at the back of her head, no less concerned for her.

Katherine pushed herself up from the barrier and stretched, turning around to face him again with her infamous smirk, "As flattering as your concern is, Batman clearly didn't listen to our calls, or if he did he doesn't feel the need to hunt me down, so it's probably safe to go back to Mount Justice- at least get off this bridge. It's depressing."

"Yeah.", Robin agreed, not quite sure if his concern was needed anymore, "I'll tell the team you're ok."

"No need.", Katherine smiled, "I'll tell them myself."

"Okay..", Robin moved his hand away from his wrist computer, now wary of how easily Katherine agreed to go back to Mount Justice, "Let's..go back to The Cave then."

She was definitely not telling him something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1182

A/N: For new readers and re-readers, I recently decided to make an instagram account. I'm not 100% sure what to post on it yet, but everything will be relevant to my stories here. If you're interested, this is the account (@/Fandvmtrash)

 If you're interested, this is the account (@/Fandvmtrash)