CHAPTER 7

|Washington, DC
|July 4 2010, 14:20

Batman and Robin were going to The Hall of Justice later on in the day to introduce Robin to The Justice League's HQ. Catgirl knew that, but she didn't know they expected her to tag along with them.

Of course she tried to avoid going, but Batman only mentioned the hall- no orbiting satellites that'd make her motion sick, so she reluctantly agreed to tag along.

As long as The Watchtower wasn't involved she'd be fine.

Or Mount Justice.

The Hall of Justice was the only Justice League HQ she'd somewhat willingly go to.

To avoid causing a public panic, Catgirl said she'd teleport herself into the lounge to wait for the group. When she originally said it she was lying. She waited until Batman and Robin had left Gotham before ditching the zeta teleporter.

Then she remembered her contract.

At least, for now, it was in Catgirl's best interest if she followed her contract with Batman.

An afternoon hiding away in The Hall of Justice was nothing compared to spending the rest of her short life on Belle Reve's death row.

"Catgirl B-0-0."

She hoped that they'd still be outside answering press questions (that's what heroes do, right?) but no, when she teleported herself into the lounge they were already there.

They didn't look mad to see she'd taken a detour either.

No, it was much worse; they looked shocked.

Kid Flash and Speedy stood up from their chairs, and it was the look on their faces specifically that told Catgirl it was a lie when Batman said he'd already told the other heroes she was alive.

The only people in the room who actually looked mad at her sudden arrival were him and Robin, who thought she'd been in the bathroom the entire time.

She glared at Batman in response, "So what, you can lie to me but I can't lie to you?"

"B-But", Kid Flash spoke up, "I watched- I saw-"

Catgirl shook her head and tapped her foot impatiently. She couldn't snap on Batman here- not while it seemed like the majority of The Justice League was with him.

"You didn't tell them?" Robin turned to face Batman. "You said you told them she was back!"

So he lied to Robin about it too.

Of course he did.

Aquaman looked at Batman, "You mean to say you really knew about this?"

"How is this even possible?", Flash stared at her almost as stunned as his sidekick, "She was cremated."

"Was it a trick?", Martian Manhunter asked her. "Even for you-"

"How long?", Speedy spoke over them all, "How long have you all been lying?"

Batman sighed and answered, "No I didn't tell them. Yes, both me and Robin know she is alive. We found her a few days ago. She escaped Belle Reve in early January, and had been hiding somewhere in Gotham since then. The sewers, presumably. I brought her here today to tell you herself." he glared back at Catgirl, "I wasn't my place to tell you."

"Oh." Catgirl felt a little stupid. She should've realised that was why she was dragged along today.

"And it's really you?" Speedy hesitated to come closer to study her. He circled her, looking her up and down for anything to tell him he was wrong.