CHAPTER 41

TW: SUBSTANCE ABUSE

|The Flea
|August 11 2010, 12:47

"Katherine, we've been walking through sewage for hours, we're going to get ill from this."

"No, we won't.", Katherine hissed, now holding the bag of cocaine in her hands, instead of hiding it under her clothes. "Look at the water. It's water, not sewage."

Dick looked down at to his knees. The water that came up to them really was just water. Not long ago it had been a murky brown, but now it was crystal clear.

"It's still too cold to walk in for this long.", he said, so he wouldn't look stupid.

"You're just not used to walking in water without your fancy thermal heated suit.", Katherine rolled her eyes at him, "You're just being a crybaby."

Dick huffed, "Maybe that's because we've been walking for hours."

"You're Robin, you should be able to deal-" She hissed again as he pointed his flashlight in her face, nearly dropping the bag she was holding "Don't do that!", she scolded him, "We need it.."

"Need it?" Dick's heart sank. "What for? You're not doing drugs again, are you?"

"Idiot. No. If it was for us I would've already had some- to make this walk more bearable!", She snapped at him.

"Okay...okay sorry.", Dick put his hands up, "My bad. I'm just a little lost here; we've been walking in the sewers for hours and I still don't know why. You said you'd tell me on the way."

"I said I'd tell you as much as I could on the way, and I've already told you this isn't sewage; Gotham's sewage is up there." She pointed up at the tunnel ceiling.

Dick looked at her, now even more confused, "But there's nothing below the sewage system, that's the lowest point of Gotham." He now payed more attention to the environment around him.

If this wasn't Gotham's sewage system, what was it?

"That's what you're supposed to think.", She told him, "And it's true, but only half so." She picked up her pace a little as they approached the end of the stream they were walking in, stopping as they came to a wall.

"Dead end." Dick looked at her unamused, "We've been walking for hours because you're lost, haven't we?"

Katherine narrowed her eyes at him and handed him the bag she was carrying to jump up into a vent-sized tunnel near the top of the wall, just big enough for them to crawl through. When she jumped up to it she turned around and held her arms out. "Pass it up."

Dick looked down at the white package in his hands. "What if I didn't?", he wondered, looking back up at her, "What's the worst that could happen with less drugs on the streets?"

Katherine let out a frustrated breath before she calmly told him, "If anything happens to that bag, you'll be shot on sight by The Gunmen."

"What, now The Gunmen are real?" Dick shook his head, not buying it.

The Gunmen: a trio of armed men that patrolled the sewers of Gotham, who would shoot anyone they met in the tunnels.

In all his years of running around in those very tunnels as Robin, Dick had never came across such men. He never found any evidence to prove their existence either.

That was because The Gunmen were a story- something made up by parents to scare their children away from the other , very real dangers that the sewers possessed.

"So you know of them. Good." Katherine waved her hands, "Now pass up the bag- and don't you fucking dare think about 'accidently' dropping it or you also know you're quite literally going to be dead."