CHAPTER 68

|Gotham City

|October 25 2010, 03:40

Robin watched Catgirl slip into a vent through the corner of his eye. "She's gone.", He told Batman, "Just you, me, and-"

"Calico.", Batman finished.

"Yeah.", Robin dived behind cover again, "Catgirl said the GCPD saw her outside. I told her to run before they caught her-"

"She'll be fine.", Batman assured, "If not for me, she would have successfully escaped last time."

Robin didn't respond. He was still bitter over that. The entire police force was chasing her, and she spent hours running from them non-stop, just to make sure nobody found the Justice League's top secret zeta locations.

How was she repaid?

Batman was the one to catch her and send her back to Belle Reve.

Considering all that had happened with Catgirl and Belle Reve Penitentiary, Robin wasn't happy to find out Batman had sent her back at all, forget that he used Calico's robberies as an opportunity to send her back for an undercover mission. 

Not only did it confirm to the world she was alive, ruining any chance of starting over she previously had, it also forced her to make a choice she wasn't ready to make; whether or not she would try to get revenge on her mother, Catwoman.

The only reason she wasn't feral right now was because the only person in Catwoman's cell was Robin. If not for him, Batman would've been responsible for Catgirl's relapse to villainy. 

Maybe that was Batman's true intention all along. Robin didn't know anymore. It was safe to say he was starting to realize his mentor wasn't the great hero he was made out to be, not after all he'd done to Catgirl. 

**********

"Ok, Katherine, nice and easy..", Catgirl whispered to herself while she was crawling through the vents, "Just a few coppers. Child's play."

"Are you talking to yourself?"

Catgirl stopped crawling and felt her face go red. "No...you're listening." She'd totally forgotten to turn her mic off. "How's it going down there anyway, gunshots stopped a while ago?", she moved on, continuing her crawl to safety. 

"We stopped the shooters a while ago.", Robin told her, "Currently sweeping the building for their boss."

"Think you'll find him?"

"Don't know. It's not looking too promising." 

"He escaped again, didn't he?", Catgirl sighed, "Meaning the cops are only still outside for me."

"No! Well, yeah...", Robin paused to think of something to say that'd make her feel any better about it, "Batman is outside talking to them?"

Catgirl's eyes widened, "He's what?!" She cringed, hearing her voice echo in the vents. If the cops didn't know she was in the vents before they probably did now. "What are the odds Belle Reve lets me escape a third time?"

"Doesn't matter.", Robin was so certain, "He's on your side this time."

"He was supposed to be on my side last time.", Catgirl reminded, unamused. She had little choice but to stop moving again. "This time I wont make the same mistake of trusting him. I'll just need a few minutes to come up with a plan. Spare them for me? Thanks, Birdy." She went onto her stomach and pulled out her phone to see what the news said about it. 

Nothing, it seemed.

"Gotham North Highschool is currently in lockdown following a shooting threat-"

"Bruce Wayne donates-"