CHAPTER 1

|Belle Reve Penitentiary
| January 1 2010, 01:15

An alarm pounded through Katherine's skull, disorienting her with the accompanying red flashes of light. It wasn't easy, but nobody expected history's biggest prison break to be.

Belle Reve Penitentiary was impossible to break out of. Even for it's youngest inmate, Katherine Kyle, it was said to be inescapable.

Katherine always did like a challenge.

"Catgirl, you with us still?", Icicle Sr asked. He gave Katherine a gentle nudge, but it still knocked her down to her knees. She shot a warning glare up at him, but held back her urge to attack.

She needed him alive.

Devastation, one of the female prisoners, helped Katherine to her feet instead. Katherine gave her a nod to say thank you and a small smile. It was ruined when the question, "You are able to get us out...right?" came out of Devastation's mouth.

Katherine didn't bother holding back her hostile urges with Devastation, for her absence wouldn't affect the plan.

Like most of the people here, she wasn't even in it.

Katherine slashed Devastation's so-called invincible skin and hissed in response, "If you don't think I can, save the trouble of adding time to your sentence and go back to your cell!"

This affected the entire group- not because she threatened them, but because she drew blood from Devastation's thought to be 'impenetrable' skin.

Katherine's claws really could cut through anything, and anyone who previously doubted that was just proven wrong.

"You..I'm- I'm bleeding!", Devastation gasped, pulling her arm away to put pressure on the deep cuts across her arm. This got rid of her, at least. She ran back towards the female cells with most of the female prisoners she'd brought with her, realising Katherine didn't care one bit for their lives.

"Obviously," Katherine muttered to herself, still irratated, "God trumps meta."

Katherine put her hands to her ears to try and block out most of the noise coming from the alarm. She took a deep breath and tried to think about her next move as the original plan had to be scrapped.

Now she was honestly just winging it, and hoping for the best.

To begin with, she was to break out a small group of very specific super villains from Belle Reve. These were villains who would play a much bigger role in a future plan.

Nobody had ever escaped the prison before, so Katherine was called in, as no prison had ever been able to contain her. It seemed like the perfect combination to pull off the impossible plan, but there was one 'small' problem...

Katherine had given into her feral instincts, and had little to no control over her urge to kill, so snapping on one of the chosen inmates was a high risk.

Luckily, it was yet to happen.

Another wave of nausea hit her from the noise of the alarm. It still hadn't been turned off, and her hands weren't doing much to shield her superhearing from the agonising alarm.

"Ugh, someone shut it off, I can't hear myself think!" Katherine whined, struggling to keep herself upright from the nausea. She managed to open an eye to look at the others, but they just stood there, gaping at her. She growled and snapped again, "Shut it off or I'll leave you all for dead!"

The only reason Katherine let them tag along was because they got their collars off in time. They weren't a part of the plan, but she told herself their powers could be useful. She could use them to get the one inmate who was a part of the plan out: Icicle Sr.