CHAPTER 46

|Cape Canaveral
|August 19 2010, 20:48

Everything with The Dynamic Duo was normal, except they were now a trio, and a very long way from Gotham City.

After what Robin considered to be a very tame argument between Katherine and Bruce, they'd agreed to go on a mission, one that would somehow prove her loyalty to Batman and The Justice League.

"Hah, missed me!", Catgirl teased one of the bad guys while beating up another, "Missed again, hahaha!"

So far she'd not made any real effort to win Batman's trust. She knew that no matter how well behaved she was here, he'd never really trust her.

"Robin, I need to get to that rocket."

Robin looked over at Batman who was too busy getting buried in the enemy to get to the rocket himself.

This was where he became important in their partnership. Unlike Catgirl, he took his role very seriously.

He got a running start before vaulting and somersaulting over the assassins below. "I'll run interference!", Robin announced, narrowly missing a blow to the back as her slid under some more assassins. "Happy hunting!", he shouted over at Catgirl, who was already busy in another fight. Regardless, she took on even more, using her powers to the max to avoid the enemies' attacks.

Once he was free of assassins, Robin crawled under the truck Batman was fighting behind. He paused to take a quick glance at Catgirl to make sure he hadn't given her too much to handle, but as expected, she had it under control; she was currently picking off her enemies one by one, enjoying it as took them down- perhaps a little too much.

"Akh!", Batman was pinned to the truck by his throat, making Robin snap out of it and focus on the mission.

Robin started to tie a nearby hose around the shadow's ankle, making sure he'd not notice as he continued to choke Batman. "Catgirl, little help?", he whispered so only she could hear. He hoped she'd know what to do from only that.

Robin rolled out from under the truck to see Catgirl already waiting for him. "Now!", She yelled over to Batman as the truck started. The bad guy got caught in the trap and was dragged off with the truck, the hose tight around his ankle.

She couldn't drive, but still knew exactly how to break into a vehicle and hotwire it;

Catgirl didn't disappoint.

A gunshot went off nearby and Catgirl flinched, her eyes widening at the familiar sound. "Robin, that gun..." She gulped and took a step back before looking over at Batman, astounded, "Why...why would you think this was a good idea?" Her eyes hesitantly shifted to the direction the gunshot came from.

"That was simply to prove I'm serious.", the shooter said.

Robin finally realised why she recognised the gun; it was a one of a kind weapon that belonged to Talia Al Ghul, the daughter of the leader of The League of Shadows, Ra's Al Ghul.

Robin didn't need to re-ask Catgirl's question. He immediately understood why Batman chose this specific League of Shadows base to test Catgirl; Talia was here, and she had the power to give orders.

Catgirl wasn't an active shadow, but as long as she had the tattoo she could be commanded by Talia or her father.

Batman didn't want Catgirl to prove him wrong, he wanted her to prove him right.

Catgirl never broke deals, even if they were with The League of Shadows.

Batman had set her up to fail.

Robin decided that Alfred would want to see this- at the very least he would record it so it could be used to defend Catgirl later. "Robin to Batcave.", He spoke over comms, "You seeing this?"