Sometimes, all you need is normal...

"Maybe it's time to find a new normal" - Trish Doller

(Maya's POV)

It was weird. This summer has been nothing but crazy, that crazy became normal. Now, it's just...weird. Like nothing changed since the crazy started. The sun still was up in the sky shining as the campers went on with their lives. Normal, right?

Except it wasn't.

Nothing was ever going to be normal anymore, all actions have consequences and ours are stuck on our bodies like scars.

"So..." Zuri started as the rest of us just stared at our food. The tension was unbearable, the air felt as if it was preventing the words to come out of our mouths. I gave a small glance as everyone to find Jorge actually attempting the horrible excuse of food. Having enough of this I quickly put my food away and walked outside the mess room without a word.

I knew they were following me.

It wasn't the noise that gave it away, no they actually didn't make a sound, it was the thick tension that followed me all the way into the woods. The first drop of rain send their thoughts burnning against my back.

But I didn't want to leave.

I wanted the rain to wash away all the memories of this summer, to where normal was actually somewhat normal. I wanted memories of happiness of summer, I wanted the memory of love. by now it was pouring but I stood there staring at the sky with my eyes closed, letting the cold drops press on my skin.

I was alone.

After summer, they forget, they all forget. They go back to the homes filled with love, happiness and memories, everything I didn't have. I hated how they all took that for granted, how they complained about the recent prank that their sibling pulled on them or their parents not getting them what they wanted for their birthday. It was the tear that rolled down my cheek along with the raindrops that finally caused one of them to speak up.

"Maya..." Griff breathed over the sound of water hitting the forrest tree leaves. I leaned against a tree for support before curling up into a ball and putting my face in my hands. I didn't speak. The sound was loud enough to hide my cries, but it wasn't loud enough to hide the unspoken words hanging in the air. Just like that, I felt them leave, one by one, until there was one left. I waited for him to go, but he didn't budge. I waited for him to leave me and go back to his everyday life just like everyone else, but he never did. Instead he slid down along side with me, staring up at the sky.

"It's crazy huh?" He started as the rain seemed to quiet down so his voice was heard, "How all it took was one decision for our whole lives to change," He continued blinking away the falling tears of God before turning to look at me.

"Did I ever tell you how the boys found me?" Griff asked as I shook my head, my face still in my hands.

"I knew who my mom was, and I know she loved me, she love me, a mistake. I wasn't supposed to come into this world, but I did. My mom was a newly wed, got pregnant one day before her wedding day. My dad was barely 16, a forgotten one too. But as I grew, my mom realized I wasn't her husband's child, she grew afraid, convinced him I was switched at birth, so he send me out. My real dad found me, he got mad. That night was the last day I saw him, so Brandon took me in. I hated it, I hated how I didn't have a perfect family, I hated life for not giving me one. So I forgot, I forgot what it meant to care, forgot how it felt to be broken, forgot how to love" Griff told me closing his eyes as if he wanted to lock his tears up. I stared at the broken boy in front of me.

And then, I wasn't so alone.

He understood. He understood the feeling of being unwanted, he understood the feeling of betrayal, of being heartbroken, he understood what I was going through. I carefully placed my hand in his as he gently squeezed it.

"And then I met you. I had never seen a girl so beautiful but so broken at the same time. You were a fallen angel and I was the devil crawling up from hell, but yet, I fell for you. You taught me it was okay to be broken, okay to care, okay to love. And I know things will never be normal and I'm sorry I can't give you the normal you deserve after all the craziness," Griff told me as I started into his chocolate brown eyes, just like the night he found out my secret, except this time, he kissed me. Soft, sweet but full with passion. Pulling away, I rested my forehead against his.

"Maybe it's time to find a new normal,"