Welcome to New York

(Griff's POV) 

I lived my whole life that summer. I loved, I fought, I found peace. I know it seems crazy and over exaggerating, but Maya was allI had, and she was mine. Despite everything, she made me feel alive. With her the days felt infinite, it felt like we had eternity, until we didn't. Until I lost her. My heart felt like it was pulled out of my chest as I watched her fade with the summer. 

"Griff, you up?" Brandon poked his head into my room, his backpack dropping down his arm. School had started a month ago but time has felt meaningless since that day. I looked up from my messed up version of an investigation map, frowning at the sympathy in his eyes.

"Come on bud, it's time for school," Brandon patted my back as I looked out the door to find the chaotic transition from detective to school boy we all did every morning.

"I'm not going today, headed up to New York," I tried to sound confident in my game plan, bringing my shoulders back and striding towards the railway system. 

"Ahh right, the Ross kids," Brandon trailed, his voice holding doubts, but as long as he kept them in his heart, which he will, my plan was on a roll. 

"Hey," Brandon called out as I stepped on to the subway cart. There were thousands of words we needed to share but now was not the time. Eventually brandon took his hand off the subway doors, allowing them to take me away. I let out a sigh of relief as I entered the tunnels but it was short lives as thoughts of worst case scenarios filled my head. But as if he read my mind, my phone buzzed with messages from Brandon:

BRANDON:  Good Luck

BRANDON: I'll hold down the fort until you get back

*****(Time skip)*****

"Next stop... NEW YORK" The over com announced as I stood up and waited by the doors, not wanting to waste a single second. The New York institute replicated its city to a T, feeling more like a business center than a home, especially compared to Maine's family setting. But even with the professional vibe, they all knew each other well enough to make me stand out like a sore thumb, not that any of them cared enough to find out who I was. My appearance basically went unnoticed aside from the small whisper groups and stares appearing as I passed by. As I made my way out of the institute, I tried to match the fast pace of people walking on the street while calling Zuri.

ZURI: Hello?

Griff: hey Zuri it's Griff, can we talk?

Zuri: Right now?

Griff: Yeah, I'm in New York, to see you guys

ZURI: Oh my God! What are you doing here!

Griff: It's a long story, can we meet up somewhere?

ZURI: Yeah I'm sending you our address

GRIFF: Got it, I'm on my way

*****(Time skip)*****

I looked around the gold gilded elevator in awe as it took me higher off the ground than I've ever been my entire life. I would've lost track if it wasn't for the red jacket guy who insisted he brought me up, glaring at me the whole ride up. The elevator dinged as it came to a stop, opening up to reveal the literal house in the sky that the Ross kids call home. 

"Woah," I breathed out taking in the luxury that surrounded me.

"Griff!' I heard the Ross girls cry out with joy bringing my attention to the huge couch that somehow looked small in comparison with the room. 

"Don't worry Tony, he's with them" An older redhead told the red jacket buy as they disappeared to another room.

"So Griff, what brings you to New York?" Emma asked, munching on the board of snacks laid out decoratively on the table.