iii ; dinner

"Jackson, please," the words slipped from her mouth like liquid poison as she neared me. "Stop with the stupid attitude. You really are a baby. God."

My vision warped then, and she was standing at the edge of the building.

"I'm a bird..."

There was a pistol in her hand. Dad was already dead in the house. And mom was laughing.

"Jackson, look at what you've done." She turned to face me. She raised a shaky hand at me, gun pointed at me. "Look at what you've done to me. You little whore. You bitch! I can't believe I ever had you, you spoiled little brat! You deserve nothing!"

She was shrieking. My body shaking as I cried for her. But she shot herself. But didn't fall back, she fell forward, onto the skyscraper's roof.

My vision warped again.

"No.." I gasped as I watched my father. "No, please! Mom never wanted this!"

"Your mother is crazy!" He shouted, hand falling against my face. "Now leave me alone!"

He was having his millionth affair. Right in front of his eight year old son.

"This is what love looks like, son."

That's what rape looks like.

This is not love.

This family is not love.

My vision shattered—

"Jax?" A soft light cast against the ceiling. Hot tears streamed down my face. Adrian was kneeling beside me, one hand against my face. "What happened? Was that a nightmare?"

Had I said something...?

"I'm so sorry..." he rested his head on his bed beside me. "Hold on, please." He left as I lay shaking on his bed, tears seeping into the satin pillowcase.

Adrian soon returned and was slipping under the covers beside me. He looked at me, waiting for something, but I just stared blankly.

"Come here, please," he took my hands and pulled me close. By that point I was more responsive and practically smashed myself against him. "It's okay.. I'm so sorry I couldn't be here.."

If he knew something about the shower, he didn't say anything.

"Don't like your own room, huh?" He teased quietly so I jabbed him in the ribs. He chuckled softly and held me tighter.

*****

I was being held. It was so warm...

I wanted to wake up like this every morning.

But, Adrian wasn't mine...

I tried to pull away but he pulled me back against him. I looked down at him but his eyes were still closed. His head was against my chest and my leg was wrapped over his.

His arms were wrapped around my waist, a little low.

My face flushed hotly.