Chapter 11. Under the moonlight

Amelia stood outside the doors to the ballroom where the conference was being held. She was checking her cell phone for any emails she needed to address from the University.

From across the room, Luisi saw Amelia talking to some woman. She checked her watch, there was plenty of time before the conference started. She made a beeline to Amelia; she was still a bit annoyed but she was determined to rectify the situation. She walked up to them and stood across from Amelia, who was a little surprised to see her.

"Pardon me. Amelia, can I talk to you?" Luisi asked.

"Luisita, can it wait? I was getting ready to find a seat." Amelia was being dismissive.

"No, Amelia it can't" Luisi was firm. "We need to talk." Luisi looked around the corridor to find a more secluded area. She saw a small alcove with a bench at the end of the hallway. "Come this way." She instructed Amelia. They walked to the alcove.

"What is so important Luisita?" Amelia was confused.

"All of those things you said to me. That we weren't good friends, and I think the world revolves around me. Did you really mean all of that?" Luisi asked in earnest. Amelia watched her face. She knew that if she wanted any part of Luisita in her life she needed to apologize.

"No Luisita, I didn't mean it. I am sorry." Amelia admitted. Luisi was relieved but guarded.

"Why, Amelia? Why did you say all of those things?"

"I have been under a lot of pressure at work and I took it on you. I'm sorry, will you forgive me?" Amelia said quietly. Luisi was still holding her guard but was weakening.

"I don't understand Amelia. Why did you tell me? I thought we were good friends." Luisi needed to know why this happened.

"They say you take your frustrations out on the one you care about the most. I didn't want to burden you with all of that." Amelia explained. She was still being elusive for the real reason but she wanted to mend this fence.

"Amelia, friends are there for each other in good and bad times. You are not a burden." Luisi smiled at her as all of her anger resolved.

"I know but will you forgive me? Are you still mad?" Amelia reached over and touched her arm.

"No, I'm not mad, I was hurt," Luisi told her. "Yes, I forgive you. But don't let it happen again." Luisi gave a little laugh.

"Should we head into the conference?" Amelia suggested. Luisi said sure and they walked into the ballroom and found a seat together.

During the lectures, Luisi was a fidgeting mess. Finally, Amelia had enough of the squirming woman next to her. She leaned over to Luisi and said, "Let's get out of here." Luisi was out of her seat, making a beeline to the door before Amelia could gather her things. Once outside they both broke into laughter.

"What do you want to do?" Luisi asked.

"Let's go sightseeing and maybe do some shopping." Amelia offered. How about we go to Las Ramblas? I understand there are lots to see and do there."

"Sounds good to me. Do you think we can find somewhere to book a boat ride? It's on my bucket list." Luisi was sincere in her hope of a boat ride.

"I don't know but we can try to find out," Amelia said. They made their way back to the hotel lobby and the concierge. Amelia asked for an Uber driver and if there were any boat rides in the area. The concierge said that there was a lovely sunset boat cruise at Rambla de Mar. But you need reservations for the cruise. Luisi was very excited at the idea of a boat ride at sunset. Amelia told the concierge to make a reservation as well as a reservation for dinner before the cruise.