j ; star crossed lovers

••Not everyone believed in soulmates

••
Not everyone believed in soulmates. Not everyone believed in being promised to someone for eternity. Not everyone believed that once a soul is linked to another soul that they're linked forever, even in death and in reincarnation. But then people mixed stars into the soulmates and suddenly everyone believed. Songs were written, books published and paintings produced. Some believed that their children would be more powerful if they were soulmates.

Some people had icons, some had words, some had a clock and some even had a colour. They had some way of connecting them to their soulmate to help them find them quicker. Her parents had matching markings. They had a red triangle on their wrists, and when they held hands, the triangles would touch. That's how you knew your soulmate was genuine. The mark is always on the wrist and when you hold hands, they should touch. Causing "fireworks" as her mother called it. That's how she knew he was her soulmate as she had the feeling of fireworks when their triangles touched.

Y/N had one of the rarest forms. She had different coloured eyes. She was the only one in her entire town that had different eyes. Her left eye was her eye colour and her right eye was her soulmates colour. She had normal eyes and then when she turned 16 her right eye changed. Her left eye was bright green and her right eye grey.

It scared her that she might not meet her soulmate. Everyone around her seemed to be finding their soulmates left, right and centre. But here she was. The talk of the town. She was worried she'd bring shame to her family by not finding her soulmate. People in the town had already started the whispers. Here she was, with no soulmate, living at home with her parents still. She was one of seven children. All her siblings had found their soulmates. Even her 13-year-old brother. He'd found him when he was 11. And here she was, 25 and no soulmate. People feared that she would find her soulmate too late. That she would be infertile before they met. So she couldn't give him children. Then bring shame to not only her family but also his.

Some families have been rumoured to even kill a soulmate if they could have children. Families would rather their children not having a soulmate than having one who can't have children. The shame of being infertile was much larger than the lack of a soulmate.

She walked past the baker and to the florist to get some fresh flowers for the house. The tulips she brought last week had begun to die and she needed to get some new ones. She walked in and began to browse. There was a lot of options but there was only a few that she liked. Y/N finally settled on some dahlias and began to make her way home.

Rumours had begun to circle town of some new people arriving. The worry for danger being brought with them to the quiet town. Not a lot happened here. Everyone knows everyone and you can't keep much hidden here. Someone will find out and within a few hours, the whole town will know. Y/N chose to ignore the rumours. People avoided certain areas of town as they were believed to be staying around the south of town and they didn't want to risk bad luck on their families. They needed the luck to ensure soulmates found each other.