Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter thirty one

Start from the beginning

He paced around again. Much more slower, then paused to turn to look at me. "Look at what society has turned us into. People who justify bad actions, as an excuse for our past. You're right, Torture is rotten to the core. Just like murder. I'm an eighteen year old who has seen and done things I shouldn't have lived through, because of how our lives turned out to be. I should be in a university, hitting books or going to parties. Doing whatever teenagers always do, but here I am, plotting against my very own father. We have changed from the people we used to be."

"Pain changes people." I pressed my lush lips tightly, fighting back the anguish in my soul. "It's time to take off that rose colored glasses."

He shook his head. "You sound just like him. You say everything bad about him, but he's just a man with a dream. His methods are questionable, but he grew up as a Radiant in a much harsher time. His life had been from one tragedy to the other, but he stood above him. We Radiants owe him, over his span of decades of service to us and we'd be in trouble without him."

I sighed. "I know what you're doing. This isn't about the murder or the torture. This is you deflecting from everything. This is your fear talking. You're afraid what you'll find out. You're afraid if it would change the perspective of him, like it did to Odell. You of all people, know your father's many faults, that is twisted with many good deeds too. You want to hold on to the good, because he's all you have, but you can't pretend that the bad parts don't exist."

His face went still. A loud sigh heaved through him, until he ran his fingers through his silky curly locks. "I'm afraid it would break all those years of hardworking I've built with my father. I gave up my life for him. I dedicated everything to please him. I'm worried who I'll be, without my father's shadow covering me."

Taking steady steps closer to him, I cupped his cheeks when I stood right in front of his face. Amber orange eyes stung with unshed tears. This was what Lyra was talking about. This was his breaking point. This was my point to remain strong. "We are here because you chose to save people your father has rejected. This is you standing on your own. You're being your own light. You are brilliant, kind, selfless and someone I didn't think I'd need before. You are Levi. The strong hero. Maybe Odell couldn't handle it because he was only Vikram Caden's son for six years, just as you told me. He didn't see things like you did because he never lived with him long enough to know how a scheming billionaire lived. Vikram barely knew him and then he makes him a leader, when he wasn't ready. He had to find out a secret, then he has a suicide on his hands afterwards. Of course, he'd be bitter and want to leave. But you can scale through. Not because of your strength, but because of your understanding. There's a big picture ahead and we are going to seal it."

With half a smile dangling on his lips, he pecked mine briefly and in his eyes, I could see a new found respect for me. "You are a gift. One I'm glad I stumbled upon. Thank you for everything. I know it's not easy putting up with my problems. I have too many baggages to hold on to."

"That's why I'm here. To help your carry yours,  while you carry mine. We'll be okay. I can't say much for our captured friends but we have to do whatever we can. No regrets."

He repeated firmly. "No regrets."

••••••••
Vikram Caden's was a man of pattern. He had a routine and no matter how crafty he acted, he was predictable. Well, according to Levi. I, on the other hand disagree, but I wasn't going to get into that. Anyway, Vikram Caden had dinner rules. Whenever he felt guilty about things he did, he usually cooked his own meals. It said something Levi said he had seen a handful of times as a child. Since, Vikram felt guilty about his actions towards Levi's flight, he would cook. Of course, his guilty didn't mean he wanted to help, it was just his self therapy to loosen any past transgression holding him down. Even his cooking had rules that were in our favor, he would stay in the kitchen till the meal is complete and not leave until then. That was what phase two entailed. Having Vikram away long enough to sneak into his room cabinet.

Entering his room was easy. Once we were 100% sure he was buried in cooking, we snuck inside his room. His maroon painted room was unimaginably tastefully furnished. The King sized bed alone was a reminder that we were  in a billionaire's master bedroom. Before Odell left, he claimed to have known his father's new hiding spot. So, we were  prepared to see a silver safe hidden with the walls that was disguised as a library shelf.

Levi knew the password and it unlocked almost immediately. Our mouths hung open, as we stared at what stood before us. An alarm began to ring from inside, and heavy footsteps drew forward, momentarily distracting us.

Vikram Caden's voice turned low. "What are you doing in there?"

We both turned to look at him. I glanced at Levi, whose mouth slowly sloped open, as he sputtered to his father. "You are not a Radiant. You're an imposter."