20. Love and Art

UNEDITED

20. Love and Art

The next day, 4:30pm could not have come any later. Jasmine was already dressed and ready to go by 3:00pm and sat, waiting on her bed. Her eyes dragged to the ceiling, having nothing to do but wait. Music played quietly out of the speaker that sat on her desk.

Suddenly a loud honk blared from her driveway. Jasmine ran to look out the window. There was Carter, hanging out the car, blasting the horn. Her hand flew to grab her purse, slinging it over the shoulder, she sped down the stairs.

"I think Carter's here Jaz," her Dad said as she reached the bottom of the stairs. Jasmine placed a quick peck on his cheek before rushing out the door.

"I'll be back later tonight Dad, just watch for my text!" Her shoes were already on her feet as she fumbled with her keys and locked the front door behind her. The flowy skirt of her dress pressed against her thighs by the wind as she rushed to the truck and hopped in the front seat.

"Heya," Jasmine smiled, out of breath and almost breaking a sweat. Carter smirked, put on the radio and reversed out of the driveway without a word. The radio was already playing his music as he drove the road towards the boardwalk once more. He leant on the armrest console, his fingers dangled open. Jasmine rest her arm on the console opposite his, then tangled her fingers into his. The road had been paved recently and drove smoother than ever. Jasmine took in the town for the millionth time; people strolling down the sidewalks, the sun was still high in the sky and beaming down on everything. With her hand in his, Carter tapped to the melody of the song. A smiled graced Jasmine's lips for the entirety of the drive.

A whole of three blocks had been marked off for the art festival. Road signs and pylons lined the sides of the road leading to the boardwalk and center park. It seemed to go on forever. Carter slowed as he pulled up close to the road blocks and drove down a side street to find a better spot to park. Tents and booths lined the streets, art stands everywhere for as far as you could see. Jasmine peered at them out the window.

"Is here okay?" Carter asked, squeezing her hand. Jasmine nodded.

"Wherever is fine. Here is great." Jasmine smiled over again.

"Great, lets get this evening started then!" Carter announced and turned off the truck. All of Jasmine's body was warm and filled with excitement. After the last few days of restless nights and stress, she finally felt a moment of peace. They both hopped out of the car, Jasmine swung her camera over her neck and purse over her shoulder before Carter grabbed her hand again. Carters camera was firmly grasped in his other hand, the lens cap in his pocket. There were even a few scratches on the plastic body already, and you can bet Jasmine has noticed them and shook her head that Carter has already scratched his brand new expensive camera.

They walked up to the busy, art lined streets. People milled around, some with iced drinks in their hand, some on their own. The artists that were displaying their work varied from lively painters chatting with those that were viewing their pieces, to the quiet, solemn sculptors that sat on a chair or stool near the corner of their area.

"Where do we start?" Carter asked, spinning Jasmine with her hand as the music that player within the festival streets grew louder. Multiple streams of music played throughout the streets. The odd live artist could be heard singing or playing an instrument over the harmonious speakers that blared the latest hits. A small speaker could be spotted set up on the street every so often, probably to further entertain people with the arts during the festival. Jasmine glanced around; there were a few streets in front of them that all connected back to the main street that led down to the pier. After a few moments, she had come up with a plan.