1. The Assignment

Dedicated to my best friend in the whole entire universe @DiamondJojo! I love her like a sister and I don't know where I'd be without her! (Also at the side is another cover made for me by ML_Brooks)

1. The Assignment 

          The bell rang signaling the end of third period and the beginning of last; as usual Jasmine was the first one into photography class. Not that she wasn't the first into every class, but photography was a special 'first into classes'. Even though it was the last week of school and Jasmine could be slacking like most of her peers, she wouldn't. Even when they constantly failed, Jasmine proceeded to succeed seemly on her own track away from the rest. She seemed to be a successor and lived by many quotes that kept her going through the hard trials and times that life roughly through at her.

Like her dad said "You try, you fail and you try and you fail. But the only true failure is when you decide to give up." Jasmine's father was a man of many words. More or less those words were in quotes. Though, he was tough, and as head and Chief Fireman proved that side of him. But, Jasmine loved photography and it was just as simple as that, she could throw away all the grades, they meant nothing. This was her dream, her aspiration, the one thing that made her happy. She looked forward to it always, never was it boring or a drag like any of her other classes sometimes could be. Though she loved school in general, the arts were always her passion. That was one thing about Jasmine. She was a 'nerd', or could be classified as one. Jasmine didn't personally think she was a nerd, smart for sure. But her keen eye for knowledge, need for learning and her large, black rimmed glasses that sat atop the bridge of her nose would say otherwise.

The classroom was almost completely covered in cork boards, different colourful, painted cork boards. All of which had a large assortment of coloured pins and clear tacks of all sizes to stick photos onto them. At the front of the class was a normal chalk board that always had so many things written in it, you could barely see the board part of the chalk board. After a minute, all of the other students —give or take a few, were in the class sitting in their desks. It was always the same; the people who actually cared about the class migrated to the front then, further to the back were the kids who were just there because they thought it would be an easy class to get a decent passing grade. They all huddled close to one desk chatting, not caring or paying any attention.

"Good morning class," began Mr. Collins, the photography teacher. Mr. Collins was an old man, blading at the top, and wore large circular, clear rimmed glasses and he had the friendliest, kind eyes and nature. It might've been the end of the day, but Collins would say good morning even if it was eight at night. Jasmine sat up straighter folding her hands in front of her, while those in the back just rolled their eyes and chewed their gum per usual. Looking as though they would kick their feet up at and lay further back at any given moment in time.

"Today I have a new assignment for you all!" He exclaimed, her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion and many groans came from behind her as Mr. Collins began handing papers out onto their desks. Jasmine quickly read over what he had given them and was immediately confused. No rubric, way of grading, no instructions, nothing they had to do...what was this? This wasn't an assignment; it was practically a list of poetry with no order or meaning! When Mr. Collins had gotten back to the front of the class he sat down in his usual chair, sipped his tea, and then explained.

"I assume you're all very confused, yes?" He asked, hinting with a small smirk. There were a few mummers and nods. "Good. You should be." He continued. Was this some sort of test? A joke? This was not the teacher she knew; this was certainly not her favourite teacher. He continued to wear a smug grin upon his face for a moment more before continuing.