9. A Day on The Job

9. A Day on The Job

          "A La Mode, good morning. This is Jasmine speaking; how may I help you?" Her usual answer as she picked up the phone that was persistently ringing at the front counter. 

Jasmine worked at a small boutique right in the busiest section of the main part of town. It was quaint, but due to the location, they got plenty of customers browsing on lunch breaks and during rush hour after most people finished work. When she had school, she worked the evening shift two to three times a week, and maybe one day on the weekend. But now that school was out she worked eight hours four times a week, and if they needed extra help or just if she was available. Emilia's mom had hooked her up with the job last year as she was friends with the shop owner and she had loved it ever since.

Emilia's mom was always the hipster mom of Jasmine's friend's. She knew what was in or out, and all the current hot spots in the town. Picking this job for Jasmine was what she would have put as a happenstance coincidence, considering that Emilia's mom didn't even know that Jasmine was into photography. But they worked that out; actually, Jasmine's pictures were put into frames and they were sold at the store as well. 

She couldn't have been more thankful that the owners were so kind and that they were just great bosses in general. The owner was a platinum blonde-haired lady in her early thirties named Patricia but everyone that knew her just called her Rica. But the managers were just as wonderful as the owner

"Yes, I was wondering whether or not you have a jewelry that is currently fashionable?" An elderly lady asked over the phone, her English was not current, nor proper.

"Yes of course, are there any brands or items in particular that you were looking for?" Jasmine replied politely.

"Well I was hoping for a bracelet, but if you have any necklaces that'll do as well. It's for my granddaughter's fifteenth birthday. I wanted something a little bit more special than the usual." The lady replied.

"Of course we do. Why don't you stop in and I'll personally help you pick something out. I like to fancy myself in knowing what the teens are into, considering I am one myself," Jasmine laughed at her own joke as she could hear the elder lady's smile seeping through the phone.

"Thank you, I'll drop by soon,"

"My pleasure," Jasmine finished as she hung up the phone.

Jasmine slid back onto her soft leather stool at the front desk, leaning her elbows on it and sliding her chin into the palms of her hands. It was quiet; still early enough that not many people were up and stopping in, so she could relax for a bit before things got going. Jasmine had woken up late and hadn't gotten anything to eat or drink so she was having a bit of a slow start herself. 

Lazily, her eyes drew back and forth as she watched cars passing by out of the shop's large front windows. Memories of counting how many blue or red cars would pass by with her mom popped into her mind. That was after dance class as they drove to pick up something to bring home for dinner. That was when her mom was still anti-depressant and she could have relatively normal days with her family. 

Jasmine sighed just thinking about how life used to be; when things were good and she good still call herself Gold. Ever since Jasmine read the book 'The Outsiders' by S.E Hinton for a language class in grade 8, she had been obsessed with the term 'Gold', or 'Stay Gold,'. She loved it! The metaphors behind Ponyboy had become a small obsession of hers.

Jasmine's eyes drew back down to the desk, her head drooping as all she could think about was wanting to let her eyes fall closed and drift back to sleep. She hadn't gotten any good rest in the last few day as her mom had been at the hospital, and school was out, she was on constant Peyton-watch; a more intent one then usual with the outburst on her little sister the other day.