16. In The Morning

UNEDITED

16. In The Morning

            Jasmine and Carter hadn't woken up to an alarm, like normal people that morning, but instead sun came beaming in through the large bay window behind the couch in Jasmine's studio. She was sprawled out on top of Carter, her head on his chest and hand entwined with his. A blanket lay covering them both, though with each movement it inched closer to falling on to the ground. Jasmine's eyes flitted open as the sun leaked into them. Her mouth opened into a yawn, but her head remained on Carter's chest. When her eyes opened Carter was already looking up and smiling at her.

"Morning gorgeous," he said softly by her ear, his speech drawling slightly from his tiredness. Carter bent his neck to kiss her cheek. She smiled, her eyes squinting.

"Hey," she smiled back at his sweet gesture. Jasmine shifted to sit up and pulled the covers off of herself and Carter in the process. The blankets dropped to the floor with a dull thump. Jasmine put her feet on the floor, it was fairly warm, meaning that the power must be back on, but she didn't remember leaving the air conditioner off last night before the power went out. She moved towards the window, wondering what damage the storm had done the night before. She knew it had been pretty bad when they had fallen asleep the night before. Looking out the window Jasmine saw many trees that were split from lightning; she didn't think that it was that close to her house. Many things were blown over into neighboring yards. Then she looked down into her own yard and driveway, suspecting flower pots and things to be strew across it as well. Her eyes widened as she saw her dad's car in the driveway.

He was home. 'What's he going to think?!' her hands went up and ran themselves through her hair in a panicked motion. 'I was alone...all night...with a guy in our house...a guy he doesn't even know. A guy he barely knows, not to mention he's only met him once!...a guy I didn't even ask if I could have over...a guy I just brought in...that I've only been hanging out with for barely two months! I'm going to be in so much trouble.'' Jasmine's brain went into freak panic mode. She didn't know what to do, she couldn't move, it seemed that her feet had become glued to the ground underneath her. But why should she be worried? If she explained everything, it would be okay, right? Her dad would understand. 'Yes.' She thought. 'He has to understand. He just has to. I mean the storm was really bad last night, he'll get it. I mean he is a fireman, so he would only want everyone's safety. I couldn't just let Carter drive home in that...it's not like we did anything anyways. I don't have to tell him we kissed. I don't really have to tell him anything.' She thought as she made her way back over to sit on the couch near Carter who was now sitting up on the couch, stretching with a yawn. Jasmine was right though, they didn't do anything. But if you had left any two other teenagers home alone with no parents going to be coming at all, the same could not be said.

Carter could immediately tell that something was wrong. Just in the way that her posture now slumped, and her face now blank. Jasmine ran her hands through her untidy hair a few more times before putting her head in her hands and mumbling to herself. Carter slid over and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. He could immediately tell that something was wrong when Jasmine slumped down onto the couch beside him

"Is everything alright?" Carter asked taking her face and looking at her as though he was inspecting it. She nodded and tried to smile, but her big brown eyes were full of worry. "What's up?" Carter asked again, taking her hand and placing it in his lap.

"My dad's home." Jasmine began as she looked down into her lap. She couldn't risk tearing and breaking down in front of him, but the more her brain thought, the more stressed she became. "Which means he'll have to know you're here, I mean he probably already does, you're truck is in the driveway and I didn't ask if I you could stay the night. I didn't even ask if I could have you over. Not that I was expecting him to come home. But he could think that we did something. Not that we did and...Oh I'm such an idiot, I'm going to be in so much trouble and-" Carter's lips met hers again, she melted into him again, just like before, smiling into the kiss. Jasmine moved to wrap her arms around his neck, then began tangling her fingers in his blonde hair. Carter wrapped his arms around her waist, then pulled her back down on top of him on the couch. She was laying on top of him again, still kissing him fervently, passionately. Carter could feel Jasmine's smile all throughout the kiss, and when they broke apart it was still predominant on her face; she was giddy all over again. "That was a really nice way of telling me to shut up," she smiled with a small giggle. Carter grinned back at her, his face beaming, he moved the hair that had fallen in front of her face and went to tuck it behind her ear.