12. Singing and Driving

 "So where are we off to today? Since it is your pick." Carter asked, giving Jasmine a sideways glance before starting the truck.

"I was thinking we could go to the pier?" Jasmine said, though it came out more like a question. She hadn't given the idea much thought with looking after Peyton all weekend. But upon trying desperately to think of something last night she remembered that the pier carnival had just opened last week. Her dad had been working and her mom was still in the hospital; not that she was suitable to look after Peyton anyways. She was lucky that her dad thought of letting Peyton stay at a friend's house for the next two days, otherwise they would not be getting the chance to go. It had been over a week since the last time they had hung out for their project—known to her dad as the conservation area fiasco; but now, in Carter's truck all ready to go, her tensed body was able to relax.

"Westford pier? The Amusement Park Pier?!" Carter asked with excitement in his voice like a little child's.

"If that's alright with you, it was mostly an on the spot-" Jasmine was cut off.

"Alright?" Carter questioned her choice of words. "Well I think it's a bloody brilliant idea!" He exclaimed using a British accent.

"Hey; no making fun of my nationality. Just cause when I get mad or over excited the accent comes out, that doesn't mean you can mock me. Especially not with something bloody, I say that way too much." Jasmine's brow furrowed as she crossed her arms over her chest to get the point across that she was upset and having a temperamental rant; a tantrum.

"I wasn't making fun of you darling," he replied using the accent again.

"I swear! Don't you start." Jasmine huffed throwing her arms up in the air and letting them plop back down onto her legs.

"Ok maybe that time I was." Carter agreed giving Jasmine a wink and a smirk as he backed out of the driveway. Jasmine blushed but then her brain quickly reprimanded herself. 'He's just going to drop you like a hot rock on a summer beach. Like a hot rock. You're going to be friends, nothing more.' She tried to constantly remind herself of that. 'Friends and nothing more,' because they were all the same. 

Or so she had originally thought. It seemed that the more Jasmine hung out with Carter or 'worked on their photography project' the more she grew to know him. Maybe he was a bit different than the others. Maybe he wasn't such a popular as she though. Maybe even, he might be just the person she needs in times of doubt and trouble. Jasmine didn't know. She only knew that slowly, without meaning to she was letting down every wall that she ever put up.

Carter tapped his fingers on the worn leather steering wheel, the whole truck was silent. Nothing but the humming sound of the engine and other cars roaring past them on the highway outside could be heard. Jasmine's hand reached up and turned on the radio, but this time, surprisingly it wasn't Carter's usual country music. It was a pop station that she would have thought he hated. Jasmine rarely listened to newer pop music, mostly because every other song was about sex or just plain meaningless nonsense. And half of the songs sounded like one that you'd already heard. Carter started singing along right away. Not just humming this time he was actually singing, fully loud enough for Jasmine to hear. His voice was surprising to say the least. It wasn't high, but it wasn't low. It was just soft and smooth, and once in a while with a bit of raspy-ness. All-in-all his voice was one of the best voices Jasmine had ever heard.

The song ended too quickly for Jasmine's tastes. For as soon as it did Carter stopped singing and gave a glance over at her. Jasmine's heart pounded in her chest and her breath got caught in her throat. A faint blush rose to his cheeks and he looked away, back towards the road ahead while visibly clenching his jaw. Jasmine looked out her window, but only for a moment as she heard the familiar sound of country music come back on. 'So it must be a multi-genre station,' thought Jasmine in confusion. The radio host came on and spoke for a moment before some commercials played. Then the music was back on. As soon as the next song started, Jasmine's eyes shifted to Carter, expecting him to begin singing again, or at least humming.