5. The 60's Diner

Dedicated to Zania becuase her cute covers that she made me were amazing! (one of them is to the side!)

5. The 60's Diner

They sat in silence for a little while. Well it wasn't silence since the music was back on and Carter was tapping and humming along. Jasmine glanced out the window, not knowing where in the town they were while Carter just drove on.

"So are you going to tell me what's so special about this diner?" Jasmine asked looking over at Carter who took one hand off the steering wheel, becoming more relaxed.

"Ma'am, we're just here to enjoy the ride. And then maybe we'll mosey along down to the Diner for some chow," he replied with his country accent, tipping that imaginary cowboy's hat once again. She laughed as he grinned cheekily.

"Ok, but this diner better not be all for nothing, cause we do got actual work to do." She countered giving him a semi-skeptical look.

"Don't worry we've got all summer for this project; you already got me a good camera. Remember, we're getting to know each other first," Carter continued turning onto a dirt road, under the canopy of a forest of trees. The trees cast a light green glow into the truck while they drove. Finally, the trees cleared and they were back onto pavement and coming up to a medium sized building with a large parking lot. The diner was almost in the middle of nowhere. Almost because she didn't know where they were, but they could be somewhere that everyone else knew. But Carter had secretly taken her the long way through the forest. Truthfully they were just on the other side of town, go out down that pavement road a bit more and make a left turn and you'd be heading down their high school's road. The diner was hidden in what you could call plain sight.

When they reached the Diner, Jasmine wasn't expecting what she saw at all. There were large neon signs that read 'The 60's Diner' and a smaller one that flashed and read 'Open'. Literally the whole outside would have been a neon light factory if it hadn't been day-time. This is because of a) the signs and b) the same neon lights lined the whole small rectangular, one floored building. There weren't many cars parked out front in the lot. But since it was only lunch, Jasmine guessed they didn't get the usual rush until dinner. Quickly grabbing her bag with that she brought, she slung it over her shoulder and swiftly followed Carter as he was already heading inside as she was gawking. They walked into the diner and immediately, Jasmine felt as if she were inside an old movie.

She had travelled back through time and was now in the 60's. There was an old red car's hood sticking out of the wall in one area, and a large cylindrical jukebox in another. The jukebox was nothing like she's ever seen before. Trails of multi-coloured liquid flowing throughout the top and a bunch of old records ready to be flipped through by a robot-arm inside. The floor of the diner was a checkerboard black and white. While all the booths and counter tops, as well as the tables were red with flecks of white. The tables had a ceramic like top that made them seem shiny and smooth, but they almost looked cracked and fractured. White was spurted throughout the bright red table top. All of the stools and walls were a turquoise /aqua colour. On the walls were some old celebrity photographs—obviously black and white, some that had been signed, along with some other significant 60's items hung on the wall. Overall the place had a huge 'wow' factor that left Jasmine's jaw slightly opened and gapping at the sight of the place.

Carter led her to the seating podium where a younger girl, obviously chewing bubble gum was filing her nails, looking quite bored. The girl had almost platinum, but not dyed, blonde hair, tied up into a high ponytail with a pink ribbon wrapped around it. The pink matched her cute mini-skirt that was short but flowy. She wore a white top with puffed sleeves and a small gold, heart locket. Her thick black lashes made her look like she had no makeup on, they were pure natural, but they surrounded large blue-almost purple orbs. They were very large and child-like but they made the girls facial features predominate, her high cheekbones and soft, pale pink lips that were slightly puckered. If this girl was their age, she'd never seen her before; their high school was the only in town, so she had to go there. She had a small silver name tag pinned to her shirt that read 'Amaryllis'. 'Huh.' Jasmine thought. 'She's a flower, like me,'. She always loved flower names, she though they were special, just like the person who possessed them. Jasmine and Carter stood there for a moment waiting to see if she'd seat them before Carter made her notice them. But alas, she just stood there blowing bubbles and filing her nails.