0. Preface

0. Preface     

     "Say the word, and we're out of here," he whispered, their faces so close together that the balls of their noses rubbed, giving each other a hint more warmth than need be. 

"Where would we go?" Her breath hitched as he wrapped his arms around her waist, drawing her even closer to him. 

"Anywhere," he breathed. "Anywhere you want; travel, take pictures of the world, capture all of it's beauty."

She considered it, she really did. If she had the money, and freedom. Thoughts of the two of them taking on the world, going to all of these magnificent places and capturing every moment of it through a lens, that was her dream. Living in it, while still being able to do what she loved. But it couldn't happen. They were young, and still in school. And things were much more complicated than that.

Young and in love.

Her feet made her take a stumbling step backwards, out of his close embrace. Slowly she shook her head; his joy fill face dropped, only slightly, only enough so that she could notice it.

"You know I would..." her voice betrayed her, trailing off. 

"I'll wait for you." His ground stood firm, gentle and calm, but firm. "Just say the words; when you're ready, I'm there." The love he held for her radiated from every possible inch of his body. He wanted to be able to show her a life without stress, and worry and one where she didn't have to hide. 

She wanted to capture this moment, her eyes glanced around her, at the dying colours of the sun. The bright orange and pale pink hues slowly fading to a dark bluey-black. The way the last light of day made his features stand out and seem to glow even more than they already did when he smiled. 

He'd be there waiting; she knew that now. She wasn't ready for that yet, but she knew he'd be there when she was. 

Taking a step forward she cupped his chin, placing a gentle kiss on his lips. The last "I love you" before taking a longing look at him, and a step back. Slowly, she turned away, and would've looked back, but instead kept walking. For that one day, when she was ready to take on everything that life had to offer her. When all the worry and stress had dissipated. When she could take her camera and set it down without feeling a need to hold it near. When she didn't have to live her life through the only thing that kept her standing.

He'd be there waiting.