21. Open hearts

UNEDITED

21. Open hearts

It was still pouring rain by the time they packed up the rest of the basket and ran back to the truck. Their laughter filled the silence of the streets, the first night of the festival ending much earlier than planned due to the sudden downfall. Jasmine's hand was firmly grasped in Carters', the basket gripped tightly in his other hand as they beamed at each other. Her dress stuck to her body, outlining her figure and complimenting her even more than it already did. 

Carter tossed the dripping basket into the back seat of the truck, before running his hand through Jasmine's hair and placing a fervent kiss on her lips. She was downright giddy, and so was he. He rounded the truck and she hopped into the passenger's seat. The clock gleamed: 9:20pm, oh, it's not too late, I don't have to be back for a bit.

"Shall we get you dried off at my place before I drop you home?" the truck gave a low rumble as Carters' hand released the key in the ignition.

"Sounds like a good idea, I'd rather my dad not ask more questions," she strapped the seatbelt on and slumped into the seat, soaked and starting to get chilled as Carter drove the truck out of the parking lot. She reached to turn on the heat but realized Carter had already done so. With the truck in a comfortable silence, and one hand on the wheel, Carter's other slid over to grasp her thigh. Warmth spread through her, radiating out from the point of contact from his hand. 

The town was eerie quiet for a summers night, but as the rain was still hitting the windshield, Jasmine guessed that it had scared everyone off, like themselves, for the rest of the evening. His fingertips were gracing the skin just below the hem of her dress, drawing lazy circles over the soft skin of her thigh, his palm planted on the soaked material.

Jasmine watched as the truck pulled into a familiar driveway, only a single light from one of the upstairs rooms was on. The street was fairly dark and they climbed out of the truck, a comforting silence with only the sound of light rain and their breathing could be heard. Carter rounded the truck, embossing her in a kiss. Their lips pressed tightly together, Jasmine locked a leg around Carter. He picked her up in one swift motion, holding her like a koala bear, in the way she once tackled him to the ground. With one hand holding her, the other reached up and gently plucked her glasses from her face, folding them over the neckline of her dress, brushing a thumb gingerly over her cheekbone. Jasmine lips pressed up into a small smile as she titled her head into his hand, giving him a side long glance. Without saying another word, she kissed him feverently, her tongue sweeping over his bottom lip. Carter carried her to the door as she kissed his cheek, forehead, neck. He sat her down only for a moment to open the door and slip them both noiselessly inside.

Carters room was exactly the way Jasmine had remembered it from the first time she had wandered in, soaked to the bone before as she was now. Her toes traced over the worn floor, moving towards the bathroom, but a hand at her waist, making her pause. Carter placed a gentle kiss at the base of her jaw near her ear, his breath warm in her ear. The hairs on her arm stood up, a chill spiking through her. He traced a finger starting at the base of her jaw down her spine; her stomach writhed, back arching slightly at the touch. 

Jasmine turned to face Carter, his hands gently moving her to the motion. Her hands tangled into his hair while his roamed the plains of her back. She felt a tug at her zipper, enthralled in a kiss and unaware as her dress dropped to the floor. The pads of his fingertips and calloused hands were a rough yet gentle caress against her bare skin. Her own fingers prodded at the buttons of his shirt, the belt at his waist. 

Soon their clothes were left in a pile on the floor, bodies pressed as close as they could be.

"I love you," Carter whispered to her lips. Jasmines barriers had already come crashing down. She felt as free as a bird. Free to be herself, to show every barren and scarred inch of herself. A single tear trailed down her cheek, a breathless huff as she exhaled every worry and fear and was simply there.