15. Walls Part 1

UNEDITED

Dedicated to all my readers. That's you. Yes you, reading this right now. You. I love you <3 you're gorgeous and amazing and thanks for sticking with me through this :)

15. Part 1

Jasmine and Carter had been sitting watching T.V for the past two hours or so. It was around nine thirty, and for once at that time Jasmine actually felt tired. That was crazy! She was bored, and she could feel that he was too. Jasmine wrapped the blanket tighter around her legs as the climax of the movie was nearing. She heard a small, but loud beeping noise, and then abruptly all went black.

"Shoot." Jasmine whispered as she looked around, though all she could see was black. Pitch black darkness. She knew she should've brought the candles out when she had the chance, while the lights were still working. The rain was now beating loudly against the window, at least it sounding louder without any background noise. A beam of light shot threw; lightning. Jasmine scrambled and fell off the couch.

"Are you ok?!" Carter asked, hurrying over to help her in the dark.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm ok. I just don't like thunderstorms very much." Jasmine replied, bringing her knees to her chest and pushing her glasses further up the bridge of her nose. Carter sat down across from her, blocking the window where torrential rain was pouring down and more lightning flashed. But Carter was in the main part of Jasmine's vision and she pushed to close out the rain on the window. He took her a breath, as did she, though hers was shaky. Jasmine was shivering, whether it was from fear or from the cold that seemed to overwhelm the house; it didn't matter.

"Do you know where any candles or gas lamps are?" Carter asked, rubbing her leg slightly. When it should've been weird, it was instead comforting to Jasmine. Besides the candles in her art studio; in Safe Haven, Jasmine knew of no candles or gas lamps in the house. Yet, she still nodded, confirming that she knew where candles were in her house. Then, Jasmine, if possible shrivelled up into a smaller ball; hugging her knees tighter and brining her head onto her knees.

She felt vulnerable and small, she didn't like showing this side of her, and it just didn't feel right. Jasmine wanted him to just go home at that point. She didn't want him to endure her like that.

"Do you want to show me where we can get candles?" Carter asked as his hand made its way up towards her arm. Jasmine peeked at him through her arms, her eyes wide and slightly scared. Carter coked his head sideways, with a sweet smile on his face, and then he gently moved her arms away from her face. Slowly Jasmine began to open up. She sat up with her legs crossed in front of her, taking deep breaths; breaths that seemed to be in time with the thunder and lightning. He took her hands in his as he brought her to a standing position. Jasmine's insides were crawling; she didn't want to have to take him to her studio. 'Wait!' She thought. She could just go get the candles herself; he didn't have to come with her. Why would she think that he would?

Jasmine took in a breath, walked over to the kitchen, Carter's eyes followed her every move. She stubbed her toe and banged her hip into the counter, but those weren't anything that a normal clumsy Jasmine would do. She tried to find the drawer that she knew the lighters would be in. Lightning struck again, making her jump slightly but light up the room enough that she could see the lighters and grab one before the flashes went away. She set it down on the island counter then felt her way towards the stairs. Once she got to the railing, she heard Carter clear his throat. Jasmine looked back towards him and tilter her head. So maybe her plan wasn't as brilliant as she thought.

"You weren't planning to leave me here in the dark right?" Carter asked, and Jasmine could hear the smirk that was playing on his lips just from his tone of voice. Jasmine shook her head to answer no, but though when she replied she meant differently.