CHAPTER 28

a.n hi how are we all? can we get 40 comments or more?? pls pls pls vote and comment, it makes my day 🥰

"You've been missing ever since the meeting," River pestered as he threw a quick punch at the bag in front of him. "Even mother was looking for you." He threw another punch, this one with more force than the last. Holding the punching bag steady, I braced myself for another hit.

"Went to clear my mind, that meeting was way too long and frustrating," I lied before my feet moved back a slight inch as River continued to punch the poor bag. I heard his annoying snicker before I felt the bag hit my head.

"Went to clear your head with your little rogue mate?" he teased and I felt his punches cease. I immediately released the worn down bag and moved out from behind it to face my brother. His large grin was my indicator of his tease, the sweaty-mess I called my sibling made goo-goo eyes towards me. I snorted.

"As a matter of fact, I did," I nonchalantly revealed as I bent down to pick up some weights that were by my feet. I heard a dramatic gasp next to me before a very loud, ear-piercing shriek echoed throughout the concrete room. My poor, sensitive ears wept at the sound.

"I knew it! You were getting some rogue ass!" my adult twin squealed before throwing his sweaty body on top of mine and wrapped his arms around me. "Ugh my sister is growing up, fucking finally!" he beamed in my hair, his warm body making my poor, clean, one feel all sweaty. I cursed under my breath before trying to pry my excited brother off my body.

"River get the hell off me! Or so goddess I will throw you across the room before you can blink," I threatened him and all he could do was laugh before peeling himself off me. He chucked me a sly grin before picking up the weights beneath my feet. "In all honesty, I'm glad you're talking to him." I shot him a glare and began lifting my own weights.

"You know it is essential that I do talk to him right? Not for my own health, but for the pack," I reminded him. My arms moved swiftly with the weights, they were slightly heavier than my last training session with River, but obviously not as heavy as doing those deadlifts. I heard River groan and dropped the weights onto the ground dramatically.

"River you know you shouldn't-"

"It's all about the pack isn't it for you huh? Seriously? I know in your damn heart you feel something for that rogue, but you won't admit it," he fumed, I gave him another eye roll. "River, the pack is endangered, why won't you understand that?" I growled back, but I continued to lift my weights. River threw his hands up in the air, puffing out smoke in his wake.

"I understand that the current situation is dire, yes. But, stop lying to yourself! You like him! You now voluntarily go to see him, without complaint might I add, and you come back with this dreamy look in your eyes and all you can say is 'but it's for the pack'," he spat. The room felt thicker as his crazed eyes looked down on me, something felt heavy against my chest as I stared into his eyes, I felt the words get caught in my throat. Unlike me, River was one to let his emotions show, he was in tune with his vulnerable side and that in turn fostered genuine respect from me. As he stared down at me I could feel the disappointment radiate off him in waves and all I could do was tuck my tail between my legs and look away.

"I know we've had this conversation before, many times in fact. But you need to let yourself feel, it isn't a weakness, no matter what you say. The council members trust you more than your rogue mate, they will choose you. Stop thinking like they won't," he finally stressed out and with that, I felt the conversation had ended, the room went silent. I couldn't bring myself to say anything else, tail tucked between my legs as River took three tentative steps away from me. It felt like miles.