CHAPTER 19

a.n ugh I'm actually a terrible person, but Merry Christmas to you loves! thank you for being patient, here is a long-awaited gift from me

   "So what's it like being Alpha, well future Alpha shall I say?" he asked me as he took a small sip of his soup. I watched his eyes close for a brief second as he swallowed, his  Adam's apple bobbed from the movement before he released a satisfied sigh.

   "Tough, a lot of work," I replied back and similarly, I took a small bite out of the bread roll he offered me. Arsen looked very pleased with my answer, nodding to himself before taking another spoon full of soup

   "Mmh, not bad for a female Alpha," he smiled tauntingly before resting the bowl back into his lap, my eyebrows furrowed at his words. 

   "What did you mean by that?" I fought back defensively, slightly offended that he thought female alphas couldn't cook. Of course, we could, I mean who can't cook chicken soup? My mind wandered off to River for a brief second. Arsen shrugged carelessly before his eyes locked with mine, his gaze sending unwanted shivers down my spine.

    "Nothing much, I'm surprised you even cooked for me at all, the rogue," he drawled and fondled with the mash potatoes using his fork.

   I signalled him to continue.

   "You've got a plan up your sleeve, I can tell, you wouldn't just give up your time to make me, the rogue, home-cooked food. Albeit, I've never had food this delicious in a long time due to the circumstances, but there's something behind this action. It can't be because of our bond because let's face it, you believe staying strong means rejecting the bond. You want information, information only I can provide," he revealed and I flinched, which his only reaction was a delighted smile. My wolf growled at him, I could feel her under my skin at the threatening tone, identifying him now as a threat than a mate.

    "I thought we established this already," I responded harshly recalling our last encounter where we expressed our thoughts about each other. He merely grinned, feeding the slow burn that would soon grow if not extinguished. 

  "I know, I just wanted to reestablish what we have between us. We're enemies dearest Alpha, we need to know each other's moves," he said, speaking with confidence before he took another sip of his soup. I recomposed myself after that sentence, recalculating my moves and predicting his, my guards were up now and I had to change tactics.

    "We don't have to be enemies, remember who left you behind during the attack," I thought out loud, surprising myself and Arsen whose eyebrow raised ever so slightly.

    "And yet I am still here, locked away. I don't trust you enough Armelle and I know you don't trust me," he replied back, stretching out each syllable which made my toes curl in anticipation. I almost turned away, grimaced almost as he said my name, pronouncing each letter, every vowel slowly which made the effect of him saying my name amplified. The despicable feeling of goosebumps rose underneath my skin and I almost scowled at myself for feeling this way. 

Weak feelings

    "I don't know you enough to trust you, and you don't know me enough to trust me. That's why I'm here, to gain your trust and you gain mine. We can help each other," I stressed out, the bread roll in my hand crumbling underneath my palm.

     "Oh darling, what will I gain from that? You keep your pack safe and you're still Alpha, what about me? What's in it for me?" he questioned, leaning against the wall ever so casually, his resolve not breaking as he enjoyed watching me squirm at his use of endearment.

    "You can stay here, we don't have to be mates, we can reject each other once this is all over and then you can be free," I bargained, my wolf growled at that suggestion but I blocked her out. This was a game of cat and mouse, or more like Tom and Jerry.

    "Oh? And what makes you think I want to be underneath your power? Your authority? I despise Alphas, hear that? Despise them, they're nothing much selfish and careless, they don't care, they just act on impulse," he bit back, now showcasing his emotions as if the words I spoke broke something in him. I will admit, his words had pierced my heart and my resolve, they were like knives directly pointing at my family and me who have been Alpha of this pack for hundreds of years. Although his words had cut me, they were enough to fuel the fire inside of me, but I kept myself composed and stared back at him, the light in my eyes gone.

     "How unlucky that you're fate ties with one," I responded back harshly, almost laughing at this ironic situation. The Goddess surely messed this one up. I heard Arsen chuckle, but there was not an ounce of humour in them but rather a twisting spiral of darkness.

    "How unfortunate for us, Alphas do what they need to do to stay in power. You're a fine example, reject me and you keep your Alpha title. Get information from me and you prove to the Elders that you're worthy. Get rid of me and you can be the oh-so-strong Alpha you claim to be. Half of what you're doing isn't for the pack, it's for your own good and you don't care about anyone else's feelings. You get what you want and if someone gets in the way of that you devise a plan to get rid of it. You say it's for the pack, is it really?" he sneered viciously as if he's revealing the dark truth. 

   I growled at him, my teeth elongating as I gave him the meanest stare I could muster. He stepped out of line and both my wolf and I were not going to take his insults. None of it was true, what I was doing was for the good of the pack, he knows nothing. I bared my teeth at him, I could almost feel the steam pouring out of my ears as I fumed. How dare he try and tell me what time of Alpha am I! He knows nothing of the truth or what I'm fighting for. Blinded by rage I ran up to him, taking him by surprise, I picked him up by the collar of his old shirt and shoved him up against the wall. He released a small groan of pain as the cold walls of the cell hit his back. 

  The warm feeling of the Alpha blood ran through my veins as I lifted him up with all my strength and growled darkly, my face mere inches away from him, his scent has no effect on my anger.

    "How dare you insult me! You know nothing of who I am and what I fight for! How dare you take my kindness and throw it back into my face! My pack is in danger and you think I'm doing this for myself? Of course not! The pack comes first, always. You dare spit lies out of your mouth?" I fumed. The red, hot, seething anger had poured into my veins and took control, allowing my wolf to come to the surface, snarling at him. 

   He had taken it way to far. 

      "You know nothing of the truth," was my final word before the I sensed the prison guards running up the prison staircase. With heavy, short breaths I let go of him, slightly satisfied at the sight of his blood from my nails pressing against his chest before I took steps back, allowing him to slink on the floor. My anger was still present in the room, I knew the guards would smell it in the air and sense it on my face. Arsen only gave me a death glare, however, a seconds later, a small defiant little smirk made it's way to his lips, which only fueled the roaring flames inside of me.

     "Armelle, is everything alright?" the concerned voice of one of the guards had broken the spell as I took a deep breath in, composing myself once more. I turned around to face them, my back straight and oozed out authority, drastically changing myself in their presence.

    "Clean this mess up," I told them before walking out of the prison cell with my head held high, not bothered looking back at the man that made everything difficult. I could feel his stare burning my back as I walked away from him, his words, his face, his way of crawling underneath my skin. I walked away from him, hoping to leave this room with my dignity, but instead I found myself leaving with his words that burned me.