80

LION'S LEGACY
80. Viserion

FLASHBACKFIVE YEARS PRIOR

FLASHBACK
FIVE YEARS PRIOR

In the catacombs of the Red Keep, Annalys walked closer to Rickard. She was giving him one of her life lessons, just as she constantly did with all of her children. They were usually annoyed by them, but little did they know, it would help them greatly in the near future, especially for Rickard and Lyanna.

"People think you are not a threat, Rickard. After all, you are fifth in line for the throne. They think you're a nobody, but I know differently," She began to explain in a calm tone, but it was clear that Rickard wasn't actually believing a word she said, "Out of all my sons, you are the one who will achieve something far greater than the rest. You are the one who is most important to the future of our people. I just know it."

"Yeah, sure," Rickard muttered under his breath, rolling her eyes.

Annalys roughly grabbed him by the shoulders, forcing him to look her in the eyes. He frowned up at his mother, wondering what the hell she was up to. "You have many gifts, Rickard. Your anger, for one, is a gift. The greatest gift of them all, believe it or not," She explained in a low stern tone before pointing toward his head, "What is in here is a gift. You do not think like other men, my son. Your sisters, your brothers, your father, everyone in the castle...They view you to be odd or even mad. Use that to your advantage. You are unpredictable. And that will serve you well. Just as it has for me. Use your anger intelligently, my son, and I promise you, it will work in your favor as you become a man.

"I wish I wasn't so angry all the time," Rickard confessed, a disappointed look on his face as he looked down at the ground in shame, "But I can't help it."

"I know, I know," Annalys told her son in comfort, cupping his face in her hands as she smiled softly, "But if you didn't have your anger, you'd just be an average person and being average is the last thing you want to be."

"I could have been happy," Rickard pointed out and Annalys scoffed, clearly not believing that.

"Happiness will not keep you alive, my love," Annalys admitted softly and Rickard knew she had a point, despite it sounding cruel, "For the rest of your life, many people will underestimate you. You must prove them wrong."

"I will," Rickard assured his mother in a calm tone and Annalys smiled proudly.

PRESENT DAY
HIGHGARDEN

   It was dawn and Robb was still asleep in bed while Annalys was nowhere to be seen, despite falling asleep in Robb's arms the previous night. Suddenly, Robb jolted awake, immediately frowning when he found Annalys no longer laying next to him in bed. "Annalys?" He called out as he sat up from the bed, "Annalys?"