27

LION'S LEGACY
27. Sunspeare

    Days later, Annalys and Edric had traveled to Dorne on Rhaegal

    Days later, Annalys and Edric had traveled to Dorne on Rhaegal. After landing on the shores of the Dornish Sea, Rhaegal had flown off, leaving Annalys and Edric on their own. As morning came around, Annalys laid asleep on the sand, but soon woke up when she heard the sound of a blade being unsheathed.

She slowly looked up, her eyes widening in alarm when she found Edric holding a dagger above her, pointing downwards. She gasped in shock, immediately moving out of the way as Edric threw the dagger down. She turned her head, only to now see Edric's dagger stabbed into a large snake that had been right near her sleeping body without her even noticing it.

"Found us breakfast," Edric sarcastically told her, not even bothering to acknowledge that she assumed he was going to kill her. The Dayne man stabbed the snake one last time, making sure it was dead before picking it up.

   Just moments later, they sat near a small fire where Edric was cooking the snake's meat while Annalys was fiddling with the necklace in her hand that used to be her mother's. It was silent between them, which was odd, since the duo always seemed to be talking about something.

"That would have been a foolish way for the Queen of Westeros to die, Your Grace, aye?" Edric jokingly asked, finally breaking the silence between them.

It was unexpected of him to be the one to break the silence between them. He was always the quieter one out of the two. The one who always seemed to talk to least.

Annalys smiled softly at Edric's words and shook her head. "After dying twice, Ser Edric, I've concluded they're all foolish ways to die," She found herself confessing, earning a smile from Edric.

"Perhaps, but soon or later, even you will have a final death. People like you and me will have songs written about us," He responded, both of them knowing it was true, "'The Great Lioness' and the 'Sword of the Morning'."

"I don't care what song is written about me when I'm dead, Edric, neither do you. You and I don't care about glory. We care about keeping the ones we love safe and alive," She explained, only to sigh when she noticed the way Edric tensed up when he began to think of Jeyne, "You couldn't have stopped her death, Edric. No one could have. It isn't your fault. You shouldn't blame yourself."

Edric tensed up at Annalys' words. He looked down at the ground for a long moment, remaining silent. After a moment, he looked back at Annalys, an unreadable expression on his face. "On the subject of dying, if you had anyway to die, one final time, how would it be?" He found himself asking Annalys out of curiosity.

Annalys sighed in defeat, knowing for a fact that he had purposely changed the subject since he didn't like talking about how he felt to anyone, not even Annalys. "In the arms of the man I love," She confessed without hesitation, knowing there was no point in lying as she began to smile sarcastically, "If I don't outlive that asshole, anyway," She paused, both of them chuckling at Annalys' words about Robb, "What about you? How would you want to go?"