The Benders (4)

The Benders (4)

Dean's POV

I came out of the coffee shop, holding two cups of coffee before meeting up with Kathleen at her car.

"Hey, Officer? Look, I don't mean to press my luck," I started.

"Your luck is so pressed." She shook her head as she took her cup.

"Right," I nodded, "I was wonder-why are you helping my out, anyway? Why don't you just lock me up?" I pressed even though I knew I shouldn't.

"My husband, Riley, disappeared three years ago. A lot like Kylie. We searched for him, but . . . nothing." She shook her head. "I know what it's like to feel responsible for someone, and for them -Come on. Let's keep at it."

We got in the car heading out to the edge of the forest.

"Wait, wait, wait- pull over here. Pull over." I ordered and she complied. "It's the first turn-off I've seen so far."

Kylie I'm coming.

"You stay here, I'll check it out." She said softly as she unclipped her seatbelt.

I followed her and got out of the car, starting to head into the forest.

"No way." I scoffed.

"Hey," She stopped me. "You're a civilian. And a felon, I think." She shook her head. "I'm not taking you with me."

"You're not going without me." I pressed, making her sigh.

"Alright." She nodded. "You promise you won't get involved? You'll let me handle it?"

"Yeah, I promise."

I lied, when it came to Kylie I wasn't just going to stay out of the way.

"Shake on it." She extended her hand.

I eyed it up before taking it, shaking her hand, just for her to place a pair of handcuffs on my arm.

"Oh come on." I groaned as she cuffed me to the handle of her car.

"This is ridiculous. Kathleen, I really think you're going to need my help."

She smiled. "I'll managed. Thank you." She locked the door as she started walking away making me sigh.

I patted my pockets with my free hand as I eyed the cuff. "I gotta start carrying paper clips."

I looked around my little to no surroundings trying to find something that could get me out of her.

Kylie needed me.

I caught site of the antenna, it was barely reachable but I could manage.

I reached forward painfully, trying to reach the antenna, but it was far.

I heard the sound of screeching tires, and did my best to twist the antenna as quickly as I could. "Oh son of a bitch." I cursed.

I felt the antenna become loose before it fell to the ground. I reached down, grabbing the pain in the ass thing and quickly unlocked my handcuff.

I stayed low before scurrying away, listening as the hillbilly's laughed and made jokes.

--------

Kylie's POV

Stay calm, you're going to be okay.

I had to tell myself this as I my chest tightened.

I couldn't stand being alone in such a tight space, I was getting cramped and tired.