Ch. 34 - Birthday Part One

Start from the beginning

"Don't you have to be like 21 to get in because of the alcohol?" I asked.

"Not this one. It's for teenagers, and there is no alcohol. It's called The Hangout," Hailey informed me.

"There's dancing, food, and a lot of other cool stuff," Nichole said.

"And that's where you will be getting the rest of your presents from us," Anna said.

"You didn't have to get me anything," I said.

"What kind of friends would we be?" Madison asked.

I nodded before my phone started to ring. I looked at the caller I. D. to see that it was an unknown number. My eyebrows furrowed, and I slid the green button.

"I'll be right back," I replied, making them nod.

I walked out of the kitchen, and I walked towards the stairs. I placed the phone up to my ear when I heard Rachel's voice.

"Happy birthday, Campbell," she said.

I felt myself release a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"Thank you. This isn't your number," I said, looking at the number.

"Well, you see, Adam, accidentally spilled his drink on the table, which held my phone, and it destroyed it," she explained. Adam was her husband of three years. I met him twice, and he seem super nice like Rachel.

"So do you have any plans for today?" Rachel asked.

"Well, I have school then tonight after the lacrosse game, we're going to a hangout thing," I replied.

"That's sounds awesome. I'm going to let you go and have fun. I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday," she said before I heard a door shut in the background.

"Thank you, Rachel. Bye," I said.

"Bye, Campbell," she replied before hanging up.

I walked back into the kitchen where everybody was getting ready to leave. I looked at the time to see it was 8:00. We had to be at school in thirty minutes.

"You guys should be getting to school. Don't want to be late," Lisa said in a sweet high voice, eyeing the boys.

"Right," Nick said, shaking his head with his eyes wide open.

Elliot, the twins, and Micheal gave him a 'seriously?' look on their faces. Ross was trying to hide his laughter.

Strange.

"Bye," we all said before we left the house.

As usual, I rode with Brent. He held my hand the whole way to school. Every since Clary told everybody about me, Brent has been extremely protective of me at school. When people start to stare at me, he gives them a glare that makes them look away, and he always by my side. The boys are this way too.

When he parked the car in the school's parking lot, I got out. He walked around his car, and he threw an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him.

"I have a present for you," he said as we entered the building.

"Mmph. You didn't have to get me a present," I said, looking up at him.