Ch. 15 - Thanksgiving Part 1

IT'S A COUPLE DAYS LATER, and today is Thanksgiving

IT'S A COUPLE DAYS LATER, and today is Thanksgiving. I was sitting at my desk, reading a book when Bella's words flashed in my head.

~Flashback~

"Are you going to tell Ross and Lisa that your father is in jail for murder?"

"How did you find out?" I asked her.

"I have connections. I connected them when you were acting strange earlier."

"Why were you snooping in my business? That's none of your business," I asked her.

"I thought that you were a con artist. Okay," she admitted, sighing.

"What?" I asked her.

"You were acting strange, but I found out that you weren't. I was making sure you weren't going to hurt my family," she said.

"Is that what you think all foster kids are? Con artists? Why would I do that to them? They care about me, and I would not do anything to mess that up," I told her, truthfully.

"I-..."

"Don't apologize. Just stay away from me, and please do not tell them about my father. That is my secret to tell, not yours," I told her, sternly, before walking back into the house.

~End of Flashback~

I closed my book, and I took a deep breath. I picked up my phone, and I dialed Brent's number.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

He didn't pick up. I put my phone down on my desk, sighing.

"Where are the yams?!" Lisa yelled, making me go downstairs.

Lisa and Ross were preparing Thanksgiving, and the boys were helping look for the yams.

"They're in a huge can. How could we possibly lose it?" Michael said, looking in the cabinets.

"Is this it?" I asked, uncovering a huge can. It was under a kitchen towel.

"Yes! Thank you, Campbell!" Lisa thanked me, taking the yams off the counter.

"What's going on?" Bella's voice asked behind me.

I turned around to see her, and she had a huge smile on her face. She didnt even spare me a glance, but, instead was looking at the boys.

"I thought we lost the yams, but Campbell found them," Lisa said with a proud smile.

"That's great," she said, but I saw her smile falter.

"Campbell, sweetie, can you go get dressed? We have guests coming over," Lisa asked me, and I nodded.

"Who's coming over?" Nick asked, cutting some potatoes.