Chapter 28: Last Time

Start from the beginning

John looked down at his phone, “Its 4:15. Why aren’t you going?”

“I’m going back home. I already have my ticket and I leave in a few hours. I was gonna tell you but not before the game.” I said.

“So, this is the last time were ever going to see you.” Brent said.

I shook my head, smiling. “No, I doubt it.”

“But we won’t see each other for a while, Rose. All of us are going back to the NHL.” John said.

“You lucky son of a bitch.” I punched his shoulder playfully. “I know! I was supposed to do the same thing, idiot.”

He grinned, “You’re crazy.”

“And you’re not.” I said, matter-of-factly. “You should really learn a few things from me, John. It’s not cool being serious all the time.”

He nodded, but I could see a smile creeping at his lip. It made me want to hit him, while the others started laughing at us. I laughed at him, “Ah, anyways… we’ll see each other in a week. Ottawa plays against Chicago Saturday night right? I’ll be there. Whenever you’re in Ottawa, you just look me up. That goes for anyone.”

I looked back at Eric, Brent, Sid and smiled at them. “Any time you’re around, just give me a call and I’m there.”

“You won’t be traveling much anymore, I’m guessing?” Brent asked me. Every Blackhawk player knew how much I traveled for tournaments and all that stuff.

I grinned, “School and rest is all I’m gonna need for a little bit, while I try and get better. I’ll try to arrange a trip to Chicago when I feel better maybe. Soon enough.”

“Well, are you going to the parade next week, a bunch of Canadian athletes are gonna be there?” Sid asked.

I shook my head, “No, sorry. This is really the last time we’ll see each other until a little while. It was really nice to meet all of you.”

“No, Rose.” Eric shook his head. “It’s the other way around. We’re the ones that were lucky to have met you.”

I smiled, I was so flattered at that. I nodded at him, unable to help myself and smiling widely at him. “Thank you. That’s very sweet of you.”

Just at that moment, a few other players were going through the hall. Canadian players that all came around me, shouting at how excited they were that they had won gold. I recall high-fiving Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Drew Doughty, Rick Nash, Shea Weber, Jarome Iginla, Patrice Bergeron, and the man I thought I would never get along with, Ducan Keith.

He kept my hand in his grip and stared at me in the eyes, “You really are amazing, Rose. I’m sorry I ever doubted you.”

I forced a smile, “The past is the past. All is forgiven.”

He gave me a pat on the shoulder, before continuing his way towards the exit. “Good luck out there.”

He was already gone before I could thank him. Everyone else were on their way as well, wishing me good luck and thanking me for the help, but I had done merely nothing. They were the ones on the ice. A lot of them gave me hugs, when they found out I was leaving in a few minutes but there was no tears.

After a few minutes, there was only Sid, John and me. “I’m really gonna miss you guys.”

“I’m sure will see each other soon enough.” Sid said. “And if not, Taylor will keep me updated on everything, I’m sure.”

I laughed, and thought out loud. “Crazy girl. That’s gonna be something to look forward to.”

“You better look after her.” Sid said, turning into the overprotective brother. “She may act like an adult, but she’s only 16.”

“Don’t worry, Sid.” I smiled. “I’ll treat her like my own sister.”

Sidney nodded and smiled.

“Did you want someone to go to the airport with you?” John asked.

I shook my head, “No, that’s okay. I just need to say goodbye to Kaner but no member from the American team has left the room yet. And I really need to leave.”

“We’ll tell him where you’re going. I’ll make sure he comes join you, just get going so you don’t miss your flight.” John said.

I smiled at him, “Thank you guys. For everything.”

“You need us, you just give us a call.” John said.

I gave them both one last hug before I started walking down the hallway, and off towards the airport, and then it was home sweet home. I couldn’t help but feel a smile spread over my lips.

‘Don’t look at what you lost, look at what you’ve gained.’ My mother’s voice suddenly came to mind. I can’t recall how many times I’d heard her say that, especially after a game, but it can very well apply in life. Maybe I wasn’t going back to my real home, with all of my real family, but I still had so many people that loved me. This wasn’t the end.

Thank you for reading and being so patient with me:) Updates will surely come faster after this! LOVE YOU:)

VOTE

COMMENT