Second Date (ARCase)

Jacob led Rue to the canyon just outside of town. No one else was around. It felt good to ride wild and free. He liked watching the face of Ruechari. Times like these, she came alive. He wanted to know Rue deep inside. The parts she hides from the world. He wanted Rue to be his girl. That thought scared him most of all. Just how far he was starting to fall?

He pulled out a blanket for the ground. Motioned for Rue to sit down. He gave her another grin. Wondered where to begin. "I really did have our second date all planned. First tightrope lessons with Ferdinand, a ride on Ode's Mother Lulu, followed by a candlelight dinner for two, then some dancing under the moon to the phonograph record, a romantic tune."

Jacob knew he was starting to ramble. He hoped this date wasn't a gamble. He was used to using the show to help woo girls wherever he would go. Now he struggles to find who he is since he left the circus behind. He took a big sip of wine, he had unloaded from their basket to dine.

He found himself nervous around Rue. Did she feel the same way too? She thanked him and just nibbled at her plate. Jacob began to get a heavy heart over this date.

Ruechari wasn't saying much. Had the circus been Jacob's crutch? Was he nothing without? Himself, Jacob was starting to doubt. Did she have Ronan or Billy in her head? Does she wish she were here with one of them instead?

Rue said something about the beauty of the sky. Jacob faked a smile and gave a reply. "The sky is nothing compared to you. You outshine the stars, Rue."

Rue snorted and shook her head. "Does that line often get women in your bed?"

"It was only for you. Let me apologize Rue. This night isn't going how I wanted it to."

"You mean because we both are fully dressed?" Rue said though it wasn't entirely a jest.

"No, because all you got is me, Rue. No tightrope or phonograph or Lulu." Jacob finished his drink.

Rue laid back. "The problem is the way you think. Jacob, a girl doesn't always need fancy displays. Simplicity and honesty can go a long way."

Jacob gave her a grin. "Well, in that case, let me begin. This Rue is a simple tune."

Jacob pulled a flute from his bag, Rue waited for him to brag. She was a bit surprised. When Jacob began to play and closed his eyes. The tune was soft and sweet. She watched the stars and tapped her feet. She stole another glance at his face. It was like the music took him to another place. Was this a glimpse of the man inside? The one Jacob tries to hide? If so, this was a man she wanted to get to know.

When he finished she asked for more. He gave her what she asked for. Then he stretched out at her side. Together they watched the night sky.

Afterward, they fell quiet for a spell. Until Rue asked him how he learned to play so well. She felt his fingers brush against her hand. He seemed to make a silent demand.

"I learned all kinds of useful things on the road, Rue."

"You miss it don't you?"

"Hard not to. They were the only family that I've known. Josie and I with them had grown; because of them, I'm who I am today. Now... who I am is... hard to say."

Rue rolled onto her side, she wanted to see his face, to make it hard to hide. "Then why did you stay?"

"Josie, mostly. Brandy too and I think I'm falling for you."