Don't Make Me Ask Twice (ARCase)

Don't Make Me Aske Twice

Jacob was finding it hard to think straight when Josie's very life was at stake. It seemed his fears were coming true. Brandy's mess, dragging in Josie too. But like hell would he sit by and watch a third or fourth sister die.

He was so angry at Brandy and scared too as he slipped one knife into his boot, then another two. His hands shook as he touched the metal there, but right now he had bigger care. 

One gun he slipped into his back waistband. The other gun he made sure to holster it near his hip. Where no one with eyes would miss it. Rue and Jujube were already mounted, waiting to disband.

He wanted to tell Rue to stay behind. He wanted to tell her lots of things on his mind. But now was not the time.

So he took a deep breath, heart pounding in his chest. He swiveled in his saddle to look at Rue. "If things go south, I want both of you, to promise me, you'll get Josie to safety. And Jujube, I'm counting on you to protect Rue too. Nothing else matters, understand?"

Rue gripped her reins tightly, "That won't be necessary if things go to plan

Rue gripped her reins tightly, "That won't be necessary if things go to plan."

"We will do what we can," said Jujube, "I'll protect them both with my life, you have my word."

Jacob nodded at the other man. "Rue, if it things go badly, save yourself, do you hear me?"

Rue sighed, tilted her head towards the sky, and spoke to the great spirits, before she looked back at Jake.

"Make no mistake, I can take care of myself. Jacob, just worry about keeping your head. Keep your wits about you too, any mistake will cost you. We'll get Josie back safe and sound. And make them sorry, they every came to our town."

Jacob put his heels into the horses flank, gave the reins a firm yank. Urging the beast into a run towards the falls. Rue and Jujube went a different way, a short cut to the falls to lie in wait. When their distraction came, his shot he was to take.

But what that distraction was they didn't say. Just to be ready when it came without delay. Jacob's heart fell into time, with the sound of the hooves, as his horse did fly.

The falls soon came into his view. He counted three men and his sister too. He slowed his horses as he approached the gang. Two guns at him were aimed. A third was pointed at Josephine,as she sat on a rock near the ravine.

Josie yelled his name and began to cry.