Control.

Dr. Gaynes looked down at the the sheets of paper on his desk before speaking. "What's today's date?" He questioned Beyoncé.

"June 23rd," she replied.

"Do you remember the deadline to complete your community service?" Dr. Gaynes shifted his eyes to hers.

"Yes, December 1st!" Beyoncé recalled.

"Well, why aren't you showing up to your scheduled hours? I've let you slide many times before, but you missed last week," he spoke frustratedly.

"I had stuff going on," she shrugged like it wasn't a big deal, but deep down, she was terrified. He chuckled at her.

"You know, if it were anyone else in my shoes, they would have been informed the judge of your absences. They would have thrown you in jail. I don't think you realize how serious this is!" Dr. Gaynes was appalled. He couldn't understand why she was putting on a front. He knew a lot of young girls like Beyoncé who were naive about the law.

"Look, Dr. Gaynes, I'm sorry! It wasn't intentional," Beyoncé apologized. "It's been rough for me this week, and I needed to take some time to get myself together mentally. I appreciate you for not reporting me. This won't happen again," she promised. Dr. Gayne's heart softened as soon as Beyoncé expressed remorse.

"You could have called me! Is everything okay at home?" he asked.

"Not really..." she confessed.

"Whatever you need, Beyoncé, please don't hesitate to ask me. I'm truly here for you, but you must communicate with me. Do you want to talk about it?" Dr. Gaynes offered his time.

"No, but thank you!" Beyoncé half smiled.

"You're welcome. I mean it, though!" He reiterates. He got up from his desk to hug Beyoncé. She appreciated that. "Okay, well, we have to figure out how you're going to make up these missed hours," he raised his eyebrows as they pulled away.

"I'll come early and leave late," Beyoncé suggested. Dr. Gaynes nodded his head in agreement. He believed she would do what was necessary to complete her hours on time. She would be held accountable if she didn't, but at least he warned her.

"Alright then. Go ahead and join the others. Pam and I will be there in a few minutes," he patted her shoulder.

"Thanks again, Dr. Gaynes!" she said.

"You're welcome, Beyoncé! Don't forget what I said," he pointed at her.

"I won't!" Beyoncé left his office and returned to the volunteer's lounge. She had a massive smile on her face as she entered. Kennedy was standing by the door waiting. Once Beyoncé came in, Kennedy immediately questioned her.

"Did you get in trouble?" she asked.

"Nope," Beyoncé skipped to her seat. Kennedy followed her.

"Whew, thank you, Lord!" Kennedy held her heart. "I couldn't have you kicked out, leaving me with these heathens," she sighed with relief.

"Girl, bye! You can handle your own if need be," Beyoncé waved her off.

"True, but you make this shit something to look forward to," Kennedy replied.

"Awww, Ken!" Beyoncé whined. "I love you, girl," she told her.

"I love you too! I'm so glad that we met," Kennedy told her back.

"Same. Oh yeah, how's the new job?" Beyoncé inquired. The last time she talked to Kennedy, she was starting a new job that same day. She had been struggling to find work since she got out of jail. "I know you're glad to be making money."