Trapped part 2

"Count is it your first visit to France?" Mary asks the guest.

"No, I was on French soil less than a year ago to negotiate for my son. He was taken prisoner along with some other officers near Italian border."

Everyone looks at each with an uneasy look.

"Nothing to be ashamed of. War is costly. One's money must be recouped somehow. Holding hostage for ransom is an old tradition."

Faridah has an odd feeling about him; she's starting to regret sending her men off.

"And did you secure your son's release?" Catherine ask

"Of course. Roberto was held for eight months I bargained as any Italian would shrewdly. I worked my way up to through two colonels and a general. And I negotiated with the king. And one day he was returned to me... for 1,500 ducats."

Faridah drinks her wine hoping that would ease her nerves.

"It's hard to appraise the value of human life. Now I know my sons, 1,500 ducats. I have France to thank for that...clarity."

He drinks his wine more faridah catches Francis's eyes both could sense something wrong with the whole situation.

"To peace and long friendship." Catherine raises her glass

"To clarity." The guest also raises his glass. 
Everyone sips there wine completely nervous. To ease everyone's nerves Amice decides to change the subject.

"Count, you must tell me about Italy."

"Faridah, you have not been to Italy?"

"No, my mother believes it's best for me to just stay in France."

"I must have a word with your mother then. I have a nice villa where you can stay."

"That would be nice! I would love to meet your son if you can convince my mother of course." Faridah smiles and everyone chuckles beside the count.

"When is king Henry returning with his men?"

Catherine looks at faridah and steps a little close to her.

"Quite soon." Francis answers, "knowing my father, he could return any moment."

"Really, I understand they traveled to Lorraine to put down some village unrest."

Catherine grabs one of Faridah's hands pushing faridah behind her.

"And yet you seem surprised he wasn't here to greet you." Francis states

A man walks up to the count and whispers to him. At the same time, Francis whispers to Mary and looks at faridah apologetic. Faridah knows what's about to happen.

"Count it about time you tell us why you are here," Francis said

"Faridah, you can't meet my son." The count looks at her with lifeless eyes that sent shivers down her spine. "Because he is dead. Ask me how he died." Not once removing his eyes from her. Faridah tries to respond but nothing could come out of her mouth.

"I'm waiting, my dear, ask me." 

"H-How did he die, count?"
He chuckles from her stuttering, "I'm not going to hurt you. Your mother and I are allies, I promise you I won't lay a finger on you."

"Count why reassure her that?" Catherine asks the count.

"My son was returned to me, yes. But he died of dysentery on his journey home." Court said

"I'm sorry, court, to outlive a child. The pain is... unimaginable." Catherine tries to comfort him.

"My wife is dead, I have no other children. I'm the last of my name. Am I not due satisfaction?"

"Perhaps we wait for the king to return to talk to talk about-" faridah tries to calm him down.

"If I wanted to wait for the King's return. I wouldn't have camped in the woods for the last, three weeks. Waiting for Henry and his men to leave."

"You may leave with your life. That is all we can offer." Francis pulls out his sword, but Catherine stops him.

"No one is leaving, Dauphin."

"With your soldiers gone, my men control the entrance. They've taken your few aged guard prisoners. We have their weapons, and now the castle is under my protection. Until I receive satisfaction." Count said

"You mean money? You're going to hold us as ransom?" Mary ask

He looks over at Mary with little sympathy.

"Mary I do apologize. You are innocent in all of this." The count looks over at Catherine, "Now we will negotiate from one Italian to another."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faridah is in her room thinking about ways to get out. Even though the count promise no harm, the look in his eyes didn't seem so convincing.
Is bash still here? Did he join his father? He could still be here in the dungeon.
Faridah thinks to herself and decides to go down to the dungeon to see if bash was there. She makes it to the dungeon luckily hasn't met any of count's guards. She looks for bash at each cell.

"Amice?"

She turns around and sees bash,

"Bash you're still here!" She runs to his cell and tries to open his door but it was locked. She looks around and sees the keys hanging on a wall. She grabs them and opens the door. She runs to him and hugs him and he hugs her back. He smells her hair and felt calm holding her. She pulls away from the hug and sees the chain around his neck.

"Why would they lock you up like this? Like you're some sort of animal." She looks at the keys and tries to unlock his chains, but he stops her.

"Amice you can't unlock my chains."

"Why?" She looks confused which causes him to smile

You look so cute when you're confused

"My mother bribed one of the guards to take care of me. He would notice if I'm missing." Bash said cups her face

"What if I bribe him even more money?"
He shakes his head,
"Don't get in trouble because of me. The fact you're able to move around the castle means the Neapolitan court trust you. You can break that trust even if you're mother is close with him."

"I can't leave you here."

"Why are you so worried about me?" He asks

"I don't know." She looks down on the floor, but bash lifts her head up to make eye contact.

"You do know. Tell me."

She pauses and sighs
"When count and his militia took control of the castle the first person I thought of was you. I was scared that something happened to you. I wanted to make sure you're safe...alive."
She tears up, " I'm sorry about getting mad at you. For starting a relationship with Mohammed. I was mad at you and Mary, I thought being with Mohammed would distract me. But every time I was with him I can't help but think of you."

"Amice... I didn't know how you felt."

"For whatever reason, you won't tell me why you broke our engagement, but I don't care anymore. I just want to be with you."

Bash kisses her. Her hands grab his hair and his hand's wrap around her waist. Someone walks down the stairs causing them to stop.

"Go and hide outside I'll distract him." He smiles. She leaves him and returns the key and hides in a dark corner. Bash yells for the guard giving her time to run back to her room.