23| nothings + regrets

Rider

"Ahem, okay, class. Today, we will be reading the play A Christmas Carol. Now, who would like to be what?" My language arts teacher explained, motioning to her white board where all the parts were written down.

"I'M SCROOGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Seth screamed at the top of his lungs almost immediately.

Geez.

I waited as what seemed like millions got their parts.

"Okay, Rider. I guess that means you get Tiny Tim, as that is the only remaining part that speaks," Ms. Frescott said.

"Nahhh, someone else can have that as their second part. I want to be the third spirit," I replied.

"But, he doesn't have any lines, you do know this, right? Besides, we aren't acting it out; we're just reading the script," She told me.

"Yeah, yeah. But, I want to do this my way. Trust me, the third spirit will be awesome," I said, nodding my head.

"Okay..."

➳ ➳

Finally. I've been waiting for my scene for what felt like forever. Charlotte, the girl who was the narrator, began her part.

"The third spirit walked in and said nothing," She read.

"Nothing," I said in a creepy voice, making some of the kids burst out laughing.

"W-Who are you?" Seth asked, looking down at his book so that he'd know what to say.

"The third spirit said nothing, reaching his hand out to Scrooge," Charlotte continued.

"Nothingggggg."

Seth chuckled quietly.

As the reading of the script progressed, I didn't do much else but sit around waiting for something good to happen. I watched Seth read his parts, as he was the desk next to mine. Ms. Frescott really should gain some smarts and move us apart. How does she think I get my A's? Studying? HAHAHAHA–no. No, definitely not.

"No, no! He can't be dead!" Seth screamed out his lines.

Oh, yes.

"He's obviously dead, you–"

"WOAH THERE!" Ms. Frescott immediately cut me off.

"What?" I asked, looking at her innocently.

"This is supposed to be PG, not rated R."

"Rated R for Rider," I said.

"Dear god," She sighed, shaking her head.

The bell rang at that moment, making everyone scramble and rush to put everything away and get out the door. It was technically lunch time, now. I sighed and tossed my book under the desk, slinging my backpack over my shoulder and walking out of the class.

Seth and I usually didn't walk together to lunch because he always wanted to get food first. Apparently, the food is the best when you're the first person to eat it. I will never understand him, but oh well. I didn't really feel like going to lunch just yet, so I walked around aimlessly through the halls. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember who Seth and I picked on a long time ago. I don't even think it really matters.

Besides, I get to hang out with Dustin, Hailey, and Seth later. Dan rain-checked out of it because he said he had something more 'important' to do. Yeah, whatever helps him sleep at night. Nothing is more important then Rider. Wait... maybe the quote was 'friendship'... eh. It sucks that it's a school day, though, to be truthfully honest. I grinned a little when I noticed someone familiar.